• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is my shaft too long?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
;D

I just picked up my front drive shaft for my 66. My transmission swap moved the transfer case back a couple inches. so I needed a shorter rear and a longer front shaft. I had the rear built a while back and it fit perfect but I did not have the front built at the same time. I measured and concluded that I needed a 27" front shaft. I had the shop measure it again and they came up with the same number so I had them build it. I went to install this evening and it was a little tight. I had to collapse it all the way just to get it in. Installed it looks like it can only collapse about 1" maybe 1 1/2". The rear can collapse closer to 3". Do you think its too long or will it be OK? I'm confident they would correct it since they took the measurement and they have always stood behind their work for me in the past.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Almost forgot the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 72

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Oh yeah! There have been a couple threads on the topic but the best one I have seen was on pirate.

Miker

Bronco Guru
Don't know if yours is too long,,,, but I have been told mines too short,,,:-[

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I think you will be fine. Thats about how mine are. Flex it out and see where you are at. They dont compress much with smaller lifts but will pull out more under flex.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
The front shaft doesn't collapse much even when the front suspension is fully compressed. I think you will be ok.

Having said that, you might put your drive shaft guy on notice and let him decide if he wants to fix it now or wait until after you use it (shauld it get damaged).

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like others stated it won't change much when the susp cycles in the front with little to no lift and it looks as though it is close to parallel, if so that will be the shortest distance and you should be okay. However if it were mine I would have it fixed just in case.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I should have mentioned that this driveshaft is on my daily driver. This Bronco will see very little hard wheeling. The only lift I have planned for this one is to eventually get new stock height springs which I'm sure will give me another inch or maybe a little more.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks fine to me. If you were running 3.5" or more lift, then it looks like you could have a potential problem, but where you're at, I'd be surprised if you had any issues. If it were mine, I'd probably support the front frame, pull the coil springs and cycle the suspension just to be sure though...it would suck to punch out the front output on the D20 the first time you hit something with speed or force.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist