• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I built myself a new Front Bumper-FINISHED PICS ON PG. 5

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I started out using cardboard and mocked up the entire bumper. Then I had the pieces cut at a welding/fab shop. I had them make the center winch plate out of 1/4" steel and they were able to bend it in the shape I wanted. The rest of the bumper is 3/16" steel.

Attachments

• New Front Bumper Mockup003.jpg
    New Front Bumper Mockup003.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 824
  • New Front Bumper Mockup006.jpg
    New Front Bumper Mockup006.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 865
  • New Front Bumper Mockup007.jpg
    New Front Bumper Mockup007.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 761
  • New Front Bumper001a.jpg
    New Front Bumper001a.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 734
  • New Front Bumper002a.jpg
    New Front Bumper002a.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 698
  • New Front Bumper003.jpg
    New Front Bumper003.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Once the main winch plate was mounted I started piecing together my bumper, Kind of like a big 3d jigsaw.

Attachments

• New Front Bumper016a.jpg
    New Front Bumper016a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 609
  • New Front Bumper013a.jpg
    New Front Bumper013a.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 587
  • New Front Bumper012a.jpg
    New Front Bumper012a.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 682
  • New Front Bumper009.jpg
    New Front Bumper009.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 604
  • New Front Bumper008a.jpg
    New Front Bumper008a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 601
  • New Front Bumper004.jpg
    New Front Bumper004.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 638
OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Now its starting to take shape.

Attachments

• New Front Bumper032a.jpg
    New Front Bumper032a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 548
  • New Front Bumper031a.jpg
    New Front Bumper031a.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 547
  • New Front Bumper026a.jpg
    New Front Bumper026a.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 550
  • New Front Bumper024a.jpg
    New Front Bumper024a.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 631
  • New Front Bumper023a.jpg
    New Front Bumper023a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 559
  • New Front Bumper021a.jpg
    New Front Bumper021a.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 546
  • New Front Bumper020a.jpg
    New Front Bumper020a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 577
  • New Front Bumper018a.jpg
    New Front Bumper018a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 592
OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
And its just about finished.

Attachments

• New Front Bumper035a.jpg
    New Front Bumper035a.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 652
  • New Front Bumper036a.jpg
    New Front Bumper036a.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 588
  • New Front Bumper037a.jpg
    New Front Bumper037a.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 796
  • New Front Bumper038a.jpg
    New Front Bumper038a.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 753
OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I still need to finish grinding the welds smooth, and cut out the slot for the roller fairlead, and drill the holes for the winch. Also adding D-Rings.
I am thinking of adding some kind of light bar or bull bar. Any suggestions?

I will add more pics when I finish it, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:

twisted77

Loc.
Evansville, Indiana
yea here is a suggestion, make about ten copies and send them to those like me that want to make one like that. Then come up with a killer looking rear one to match.

How about some lights mounted inside the bumper with some holes cut in and tubes welded in, seen that before and it looks great. and some D-ring mounts.

Bryce

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Nice job Dude, I just got done building Myself one too. I used the cardboard to mock it up like you did. That made it easy to play with different ideas and see how they look. For mine I put the space for the winch under and in back of the top ,front , and bottom plate to keep the clean look of the bumper and keep it out of the rain. I also used plate on the back side to seal up the ends air tight and conected them with some 3/4 pipe across the winch recess area. Then added compressor tank fittings and ran the lines from the A/C compressor to it so now the bumper is the on board air tank supply. I didn't add a light bar to mine but if you do you could use that to conect the two sides of yours if you wanted to use yours the same way. For lights I'm going to attach (WELD) some miter cut 3" pipes (two) under the front to the plate that angles down and back so the openings faces strait out and use them as housings for some lights I found that will fit perfectly inside the pipe. This will keep the one peace look of the bumper with lights kinda frenched in to it. I need to become a contributor to post pics I guess? I'll get on that.

Last edited:

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Hey, Bax should have plenty of cardboard you could use to make us all a copy of your pattern with. He had a pile of it the other day.

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone. I can make drawings of it with dimensions for anyone interested, I will post them in this thread when I'm done. Just to let you know though, I have a 3" body lift. Not sure how it would fit with less of a BL, probably have to modify the corners to clear where the grill drops down to meet the fender corner.

Ive got about 80% of the finish grinding done, I will post more pics later. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a nice design. I thought about making it an air tank also, but I ended up leaving half of the back open in case I wanted to french in some lights later. I have the pieces to fully box it in later if I wanted to though.

Nice job Dude, I just got done building Myself one too. I used the cardboard to mock it up like you did. That made it easy to play with different ideas and see how they look. For mine I put the space for the winch under and in back of the top ,front , and bottom plate to keep the clean look of the bumper and keep it out of the rain. I also used plate on the back side to seal up the ends air tight and conected them with some 3/4 pipe across the winch recess area. Then added compressor tank fittings and ran the lines from the A/C compressor to it so now the bumper is the on board air tank supply. I didn't add a light bar to mine but if you do you could use that to conect the two sides of yours if you wanted to use yours the same way. For lights I'm going to attach (WELD) some miter cut 3" pipes (two) under the front to the plate that angles down and back so the openings faces strait out and use them as housings for some lights I found that will fit perfectly inside the pipe. This will keep the one peace look of the bumper with lights kinda frenched in to it. I need to become a contributor to post pics I guess? I'll get on that.