• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mechanical fan vs electric fan?

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I live in Las Vegas and it gets to about 115 degrees in the summer (not sure if I would be driving my bronco then anyway). Seems like I have seen guys running only electric fans instead of mechanical fans from the radiator. I have also seen both electric/mechanical. Will an electric fan alone keep your bronco cool enough in the summer time? I'm sure there are many variables but as a general rule can/should you go electric only?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With the right fan it should run cool. For electrics it seems like the taurus fan is the only one that really works. Personnally I'd rather run mechanical fans as they will always work. no wires, switches, sensors or fan motors to fail. Im in AZ and sometimes even wheel in 110+ heat with no issues. Of course with either setup your cooling system needs to be in good shape.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I am installing the explorer serp on my 351 and researching the Taurus fan now. About to buy the radiator as well and wondering if I should purchase it with or without the trans cooler and then run a separate trans cooler? Which way is better to prevent overheating issues?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I have a dual pusher/puller fan setup and it works great. I haven't wheeled it in mid-summer, but none the less I haven't even had a need to use the pusher fan yet. The hottest mine has got with a 2400cfm puller is 200° and it usually hovers around 190°. Offhand, I'm pretty sure my puller is a Derale, and the pusher is a Hayden. The Taurus fan will pull even more, but you may have to move your radiator forward to fit it in there.

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
Do to a loose transfercase mount my mech. fan decided to go into my radiator. After that I bought a 4 core out of a project Chuck was working on and added a dual fan setup out of a 2001 cougar. They kick on at 204 and your temp will drop instantly.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I am installing the explorer serp on my 351 and researching the Taurus fan now. About to buy the radiator as well and wondering if I should purchase it with or without the trans cooler and then run a separate trans cooler? Which way is better to prevent overheating issues?

I'm no tranny expert(not even close), but I have read the in radiator tranny cooler serves a dual purpose. Heating the fluid as well as cooling it. Someone should be able to confirm or deny that.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm no tranny expert(not even close), but I have read the in radiator tranny cooler serves a dual purpose. Heating the fluid as well as cooling it. Someone should be able to confirm or deny that.

That is true. Especailly in colder climates. I would always run a radiator tranny cooler and maybe a secondary electric fan tranny cooler for hot heavy load conditions.

I've had good luck with both electric and mechanical radiator fans. IMO it's real hard to beat the Explorer chutch fan. It's more efficient than electric. The 20-60 amps to run an electric does not come free. Electric takes more HP from the engine to move the same amount of air. They make more sense in a vehicle that primarily runs down the highway where ram air provides cooling and the electric does not run.

That's my opinion

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I've had the Taurus fan for a few weeks now and I would say it shines on the trail. When idling around and occasionally gunning it the engine can heat up but the Taurus fan kicks on and the engine temp drops fast. I set mine up so that low speed kicks on at 190 degrees and high speed is controlled with a switch in the cab. I'm running the explorer serp system with the champion conversion radiator. My engine runs 20 degrees cooler than it did with the explorer clutch fan.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A good electric fan can cool. Trouble is finding a good electric fan that can do the job. The aftermarket fans are generally useless for a Bronco. The advertising CFM ratings are pointless numbers, they do not account for the drag of pulling air through the radiator. They are free air numbers only good for advertising or using as a window fan.

But the good fans, like one off a Taraus, can do the job. but they take a lot of amps. The eletrical system needs to be up to the task of running the fans as well.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
A good electric fan can cool. Trouble is finding a good electric fan that can do the job. The aftermarket fans are generally useless for a Bronco. The advertising CFM ratings are pointless numbers, they do not account for the drag of pulling air through the radiator. They are free air numbers only good for advertising or using as a window fan.

But the good fans, like one off a Taraus, can do the job. but they take a lot of amps. The eletrical system needs to be up to the task of running the fans as well.

Not arguing, but my aftermarket fans work great. And I'm still running the unflushed factory radiator. Could be even more effective if I upgraded radiators I suppose. I did have to install a 3G to make up for the extra amp usage, but it was a useful and awesome upgrade by itself. Some people have good luck with them and some people don't. I'll count myself as one of the lucky ones.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
A "good" aftermarket fan flows about 2500cfm, some of the cheaper ones only 1600cfm the Taurus fan will flow up to 4000 cfm on high. Big difference.

buckintone

Loc.
Carlsbad

The stock explorer fan is awesome it moves a ton of air, since ur installing that serp use that fan. Also get a rad w/trans cooler as well as an aux trans cooler, u cannot run ur trans too cool.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A properly designed fan shroud make a ton of difference on mechanical fans. Electric fans are generally part of an assembly that includes the shroud. Many mechanical fan deficiencys are more a function of improper shrouding/ducting.

More of my opinion for what its worth.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone know what year Taurus models to pick from at the junkyard? I checked the tech section and nothing has been done on this one yet. The Mark VIII is supposed to be 2" larger, is this going to be too much or better? Thanks again.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
a smaller water pump pulley with a flow kooler pump and matching thermostat did wonders for the overheating issues I had on the trail using a mechanical fan

I also run a small electic pusher fan for crawling

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
A properly designed fan shroud make a ton of difference on mechanical fans. Electric fans are generally part of an assembly that includes the shroud. Many mechanical fan deficiencys are more a function of improper shrouding/ducting.

More of my opinion for what its worth.

Late 80's early 90's Taurus with 3.8l V6.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
I am running the derale slimline electric fan. the derale controller module and relay that I installed with it did not function well and was very eratic. In fact I went throught 2 of these controllers and finally just wired it to run constant with the key on using a relay. with the fan wired in this fashion, I never even hit 180 degrees. that being said, i know the fan has the capability of keeping the engine cool under all conditions. Just wish I could find a more reliable controller.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I am running the derale slimline electric fan. the derale controller module and relay that I installed with it did not function well and was very eratic. In fact I went throught 2 of these controllers and finally just wired it to run constant with the key on using a relay. with the fan wired in this fashion, I never even hit 180 degrees. that being said, i know the fan has the capability of keeping the engine cool under all conditions. Just wish I could find a more reliable controller.

You might check out the harness and relay set up from the Hollister Road Co. I installed a front water neck with 190 degree sensor and it works great. You can get a sensor that will turn it on at just about any temp you want. I put a switch in the cab for high speed.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Maui, do you know what was the last year in the 90's? I can do a part search for our local pic-a-part here in Vegas online. Thanks again.