• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

torque specs

redtail

I am doing a frontend redo on my 68 and am wondering what the trq specs are on the radius arms, brake backing plates, tie rods/drag link.

I am putting in new springs, bushings, shocks and steering box. Plus painting everything.

Also if anyone could give me a hint on how to get the old ball joints off, that would be sweet! (plus any other tips too!)

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
what the trq specs are on the radius arms, brake backing plates, tie rods/drag link

tight enough so they don't come loose but not so tight that you break them off.;)

Also if anyone could give me a hint on how to get the old ball joints off, that would be sweet!

Pickle fork and big hammer to get them seperated from the axle housing. ball joint press to replace them in the knuckle. also air chisle helps to unseat them from the axle housing.

OP
OP
redtail

redtail

tight enough so they don't come loose but not so tight that you break them off.;)

Pickle fork and big hammer to get them seperated from the axle housing. ball joint press to replace them in the knuckle. also air chisle helps to unseat them from the axle housing.

LOL thats what I thought on the trq, just wanted to make sure. I have been having some issues with not doing my trqing proper.

Oh jeeez I called tie rod ends ball joints %)
I got the everything seperated, but I have new TIE ROD ENDS lol... How should I go about getting the old tie rod ends off, they are (have been) bastards to get off.

Last edited:

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
From '75 Ford service manual

80-120 Ft-Lb on the radius arms and
30-40 Ft-Lb on the brake backing plates to knuckles.
These #'s are for a Dana 44 so use accordingly.