• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FP & MAF Relays share continuity?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Using this diagram on Ryan's site, I was checking continuity on my relays and fuses to determine which was which (all started with my fuel pump issue).

My first step was to confirm which relay I thought was the FP and checked it with the inertia switch. Checked positive but I still checked all of the other relays and the MAF relay also has continuity with the inertia switch

I got this same cross - continuity again while checking the MAF plug to the MAF relay with the FP relay.

Is this supposed to be? If so, why? The diagram sure does not show anything like this supposed to be happening. This is all while the key switch is off if it makes a difference.

EFI_power_diagram.gif

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How were you checking continuity and from what points exactly? Ohmmeters will try to trick you if the circuit you're checking isn't isolated properly.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am using Ryan's harness that has 4 relays and 4 fuses like in the diagram.

I pulled all the fuses and relays, thinking I was isolating them. I knew which relay was my FP since I had pulled them one by one until my FP would not come on with key-on. I used my multi-meter to check the continuity between the top of the relay (the ON position of the relay) and the inertia switch wire. I had the sound on my meter so I could tell by sound rather than having to look. My FP relay and the inertia switch had good continuity so I hit the other three relays to make sure they did not, but the MAF relay did sound just like the FP relay did - same "top / on" position of the relay vs. the inertia switch wire.

The MAF also shared continuity with both the top / on position of the MAF and FP relay.

I checked the ignition relay the same way vs. the coil and it was the ONLY relay that shared continuity with the coil.

I also checked the ignition switch run and all of the relays shared continuity on the same post. I also checked the ground relay and EEC, Ignition, and MAF all shared continuity like they should (and the FP did NOT share common ground, but it is not supposed to so that was good.)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The meter current was travelling through the fuel pump windings to ground. From there it was going though the MAF sensor and/or O2 sensors. If you try it again read the ohm value instead of listening for the beep. Most continuity functions will generate the beep if the ohm value is as much as 200 ohms.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmmm... I will do this tonite and look at the actual values and posts them up. So nothing to be worried about I assume and most likely NOT related to my fuel issue.

Once again, Thank You Viperwolf1 - you always are quick to help me on my electrical confusion.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Direct short on the correct relay.

3.9 - 4.1 ohms on the wrong relay, so that answers my question!