• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

speedo gear clip direction

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Also curious as my speedo hasnt worked ever since I put the new cable in. Registers fine when I put a drill on the Dana 20 end but as soon as its installed it stops registering

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is the speedo gear clip suppose to have the open end toward the cable or away from it??:? It clips on either way.

Probably doesn't matter on the manual (or D20, left pic) type speedo gear. The auto type gear it does.

Attachments

• Bronco 847.jpg
    Bronco 847.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 32

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Also curious as my speedo hasnt worked ever since I put the new cable in. Registers fine when I put a drill on the Dana 20 end but as soon as its installed it stops registering

Is the drive gear loose in the tcase?

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I might have the wrong gear. Got it from the Ford dealer in Phoenix and told him it was for an auto. The gear on the right is for an auto? Mines looks like the one on the left(shorter snout). Havent had a chance to check out the tcase, been busy working on the aux fuel tank and not driving it

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yep, left is manual trans and tcase gear, right is auto trans only. Use the manual type gear in all D20's no matter what type trans is in front of it.

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Speed O from Hell!

Viper,
I have never been able to get my speedometer to work after taking the dash out for a re-wire. C-4 auto. I just rebuilt the tranny and have tried one new cable and two used cables out of early Bronco's and it still doee not work. The cable turns on the speedo end no problem. Pulg it in nothing. The speedo was sent to Classy Chassy because of this issue and he bench tested it and it worked fine. He did some work on it I installed it and back to square one. No speedometer. What in the heck is the deal? I have never in my life seen anything like this before. I have had several certified techs and a top notch transmission shop scratch thier head.
:mad:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the odometer is working, the cable is turning. I'd say there's a problem with the speedo cup and magnet.

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
I have an e-mail in to Kevin at Classy Chassy since he worked on it. I have a Bronco bud who has a spare speedo in his parts box. I am going to get it and hook it up just as a test. This old Bronco is bucking like a wild pony and doing its best to break me down, but I do not give up.

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Tested the 77 speedo and it works! Now the only problem is it has 90K on it and my old one has 54 K any suggestions on how to reset them? Is it a simple process?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I just tried fixing my non working speedo tonight with a new cable as mine looked bad....plastic gear looked good...I could spin metal gear in the case freely. That can't be right? Any way to fix that.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just tried fixing my non working speedo tonight with a new cable as mine looked bad....plastic gear looked good...I could spin metal gear in the case freely. That can't be right? Any way to fix that.

The speed drive gear and shims make up the spacing for the shaft endplay. The thin shims tend to breakup over the years increasing the endplay and allowing the drive gear to move. Rebuild the rear output assembly to fix it.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
The speed drive gear and shims make up the spacing for the shaft endplay. The thin shims tend to breakup over the years increasing the endplay and allowing the drive gear to move. Rebuild the rear output assembly to fix it.

Sounds like fun, any suggestion to get what I need for shims locally.