• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

79 knuckle taper, is it the same as 1 ton chevy tie rod taper?

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Is the 79 knuckle taper, the same as 1 ton chevy tie rod taper? I don't really need TRO, but I have all need front end steering parts save for the tie rods-draglinks so since I am replacing any way, I am going to up grade to RuffStuffs 1 ton ends while I'm at it. Wondering if the taper is the same or does it have to be redone? Thanks...Mo

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the 79 knuckle taper, the same as 1 ton chevy tie rod taper? I don't really need TRO, but I have all need front end steering parts save for the tie rods-draglinks so since I am replacing any way, I am going to up grade to RuffStuffs 1 ton ends while I'm at it. Wondering if the taper is the same or does it have to be redone? Thanks...Mo

Pretty sure it is...but I can check for ya. I happen to have both sitting around.

t120r

When I did the 1-ton conversion on my '79 knuckles and ran the reamer through, it was VERY close, but not exact. The GM 1 ton TRE is not a 7 degree taper as most sites suggest. It's a tiiiiiinnnnny bit off that. That being said, do a tie rod over conversion and go slow. There's enough meat to make a full taper and still have room for the rubber tie rod boot. For the easy of adjustments alone it's worth it.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I am actually not doing a TRO I am staying stock location, but with the 1 ton tie rods. I was just wondering if they would just mount up or if i needed to ream to match taper....Mo

t120r

The first time I did it, I kept the tie rods in the stock location. That's how I know the taper is VERY close. That being said, we're talking about 33 year old knuckles and the taper could be off a bit on the ones I machined. Best bet is to get a reamer and run it through lightly to check.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I did the 1-ton conversion on my '79 knuckles and ran the reamer through, it was VERY close, but not exact. The GM 1 ton TRE is not a 7 degree taper as most sites suggest. It's a tiiiiiinnnnny bit off that. That being said, do a tie rod over conversion and go slow. There's enough meat to make a full taper and still have room for the rubber tie rod boot. For the easy of adjustments alone it's worth it.

FWIW, the GM taper is 1.5" per foot which equates to a 7.125 degree angle from the axis of the reamer to cutting edge.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
We now know the exact GM taper

We have a definite on the Gm taper anyone have a positive on the stock taper for a 79 Bronco knuckle?...Mo

twiisted71

Has anyone actually got any pics of this? I too am looking to put the GM 1 ton linkage on my F250 Dana 44. I want to stay in the stock location as well. I keep finding conflicting info on the dimensions of the GM vs Ford tie rod studs. I would happily get a cheap GM reamer and run through my knuckles but I don't want to end up with the hole being too deep for the tie rod to seat properly. I've looked and just can't find any definitive proof with pics of this being done. Here's what I'm working with so you can see why I don't need to go tie rod over

photo_zpsd768cdfa.jpg