• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Main Fuel Sender

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Before I start this project, is there any tips/tricks/advice to swapping out a main fuel sender? Is it a simple swap out and then I'm good to go? Thanks!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Oil that new o-ring just a tad b-4 you reinstall;D It's kind of a booger if tank is still on bronco,but not to bad just take your time and should be fine.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
uh-oh....is the o-ring somehing I need order seperate??...I dont have one in my box from Toms. Can i just use the one already on there? I only have the fuel sender with a new locking ring---definitely no replacement o-ring??

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
uh-oh....is the o-ring somehing I need order seperate??...I dont have one in my box from Toms. Can i just use the one already on there? I only have the fuel sender with a new locking ring---definitely no replacement o-ring??

Ford dealer still has them, C0AF-9276-A for about $1.03 each. Don't use an old one.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I believe there should have been one in there.I got a main sending unit from them a couple yrs ago and was a new one in there with the unit.Be best now to do what VW1 said.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Yeah, theres definitely NOT a replacement oring in there. Guess I need to hit up Ford then.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That will probably work too. Just need something so the rubber slides on the metal sender flange.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Anybody want to give me some pointers on how exactly to remove the old sender?...tank is drained, lines are disconnected----somehow this thing will not come out or even budge. I am trying to spin the locking ring counter-clockwise with no joy. Other than beating it to death and burning my garage down by some random spark, is there another trick to this? THANKS!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks viper-----is the only to get this thing off but beating on it to get it turn counter-clockwise and spin free?

There's probably a fancy tool the factory used but that method will work. Wack it on alternate sides to keep it from getting jammed up.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Sorry---reviving this old thread. So, I was able to get the old locking ring off and have my new sender in place. Here's the pickel---how in the world do I get enough down force/pressure/weight/elbow grease/etc on the new ring and seal to get it to spin under the tabs and get itself securred?? I lubed up the seal pretty good but it doesnt seem to even budge a millimeter. The tank is not mounted. Many thanks in advance....

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I had to barely bend the tips of the ring down slightly so it would go under the lip of the tank. Once I got it started, I tapped it all the way around with a tap and hammer. It's a PITA to get back on.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Chief---good call---i was actually looking at that. I left the garage with the ring stuck in the vice. Maybe I'll get to start on that 1st thing tomorrow. Also, I have a new tank from TOMs---it came with the additional 2 vents/tube things protruding out by the main sender hookup. I'm not sure what these are for, since my old tank didnt have them. Do I need to cap these? If so, whats the best way? Tape will surely fall off and I wont be able to reach up there and retape. I was thinking of shaving a wine cork to fit in there? Thoughts?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Wow, it won't secure for ya.. I read to use "vaseline" to keep the O ring on while you was installing.

I got a new sending unit to put on mine as well. I better pay attention to your thread.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Chief---good call---i was actually looking at that. I left the garage with the ring stuck in the vice. Maybe I'll get to start on that 1st thing tomorrow. Also, I have a new tank from TOMs---it came with the additional 2 vents/tube things protruding out by the main sender hookup. I'm not sure what these are for, since my old tank didnt have them. Do I need to cap these? If so, whats the best way? Tape will surely fall off and I wont be able to reach up there and retape. I was thinking of shaving a wine cork to fit in there? Thoughts?

Did you mean by the main fill tube? The two small hoses are vents to the plastic vapor canister found in later year EBs. I just plugged them with rubber caps, similar to what you would use for vacuum ports on the intake or carb. Just bigger. I bougth my new tank from Toms and I don't recall any other vent tubes besides what I mentioned and the larger one that nents to the fill tube.

I didn't have to bend those tabs much. Just enought to allow them to slip under the lip.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If your charcoal canister line is still hooked up you will want to use one of the vent tubes for that and I believe the other would be if your motor was EFI.Like Chief said if not in use just plug'em.