• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 rebuild tools

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
So I bought the WH super duper rebuild kit to go through my J-Shift. Question is what tools does it typically take to do it. Have the usual hand tools, torque wrench, dial indicators etc. but do I need a press, bearing separator? Is it cost effective to get some of the work done at a machine shop? Whatcha think?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I have mine all apart right now. No special tools needed really. The wooded dowel to hold the bearings in the idler gears is a neat trick tho. There are some pressed on bearings that I'll have a machine shop remove and press on the new ones. I'm going to grind the front shift rail so I can have front wheel drive only while I have it apart.

Did your WH kit come with a new idler shaft? I see some kits do and some don't.

OP
OP
Dbarnes72

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
Did your WH kit come with a new idler shaft? I see some kits do and some don't.
Thanks for the info. I like to collect tools but not sure I want to own a frame press that wouldn't see a lot of use. Don't know about the idler shaft as I haven't received the kit yet but the description says that it comes with the cluster shaft. Time to make friends at the machine shop. Will install JB Fab twin sticks when the rebuild is done. I waffled on that one but finally gave in after reading the last thread about a J shift that wouldn't.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I'm in the process of putting my j shift back together now and I didn't need the help of a machine shop a press or a bearing separator. I just picked up a cheap toaster oven to cook the bearings to around 200* or so, put the shafts in the freezer for a few hours and then just put them together. Piece of cake.

Good luck.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'm in the process of putting my j shift back together now and I didn't need the help of a machine shop a press or a bearing separator. I just picked up a cheap toaster oven to cook the bearings to around 200* or so, put the shafts in the freezer for a few hours and then just put them together. Piece of cake.

Good luck.
I did the same thing. Remove the bearings with a cheap Harbor Freight 3-jaw puller. Bought a toaster oven, run my bearings up to 250° and they drop right on a non-frozen shaft.

Other than a dial indicator to set up the front OP shaft end play, you may want a inch/lb torque wrench to set the rear OP shaft to 5-7 in/lb preload, rather than the specified end play. That seems to solve some instances of the transfer case popping out of rear low if you twin stick it. I bought a beam-style bicycle torque wrench off of Ebay for around $40. Seems to work nicely.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't use a press. I do use a big brass hammer, brass punches, a couple sections of pipe, yoke holding tool, 1/2", 9/16" and 1 1/8" socket, 3/16" hex socket, dial indicator, torque wrench and a setup bearing.

When setting the rear output endplay use a Timken #15118 in the rear position. It is the same size as the #15117 except the inner bore is a couple thousandths larger. This allows you to assemble and disassemble the output shaft without needing a press. Only use it as a setup bearing. Once the correct endplay is set, drop in the #15117 bearing, put the seal on and assemble the shaft.

Here's a diagram of the J front shaft assembly. It's different than the T.

Attachments

• Dana 20j front shaft.jpg
    Dana 20j front shaft.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 71

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I know there are ways to do all this without a press but I decided to buy one anyway and I have found it useful for several things. I am surprised at how often I use it. From rebuilding the d20, to replacing wheel bearings and rebuilding the ford 9. It's been worth having one.

Just a different approach.

broncokak

Bronco Guru

Good luck.

Yup, you can do that too. Almost forgot about the oven trick. %)

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I don't use a press. I do use a big brass hammer, brass punches, a couple sections of pipe, yoke holding tool, 1/2", 9/16" and 1 1/8" socket, 3/16" hex socket, dial indicator, torque wrench and a setup bearing.

When setting the rear output endplay use a Timken #15118 in the rear position. It is the same size as the #15117 except the inner bore is a couple thousandths larger. This allows you to assemble and disassemble the output shaft without needing a press. Only use it as a setup bearing. Once the correct endplay is set, drop in the #15117 bearing, put the seal on and assemble the shaft.

Here's a diagram of the J front shaft assembly. It's different than the T.

Great tip on the 15118, thanks.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where would I get a shim pack for the rear output shaft if I need one?

Can I get some shims very similar in size at NAPA if I need to change thicknesses?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Where would I get a shim pack for the rear output shaft if I need one?

Can I get some shims very similar in size at NAPA if I need to change thicknesses?

Almost all the regular vendors carry the shims. I doubt you can find them locally.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Somewhat unrelated...

What is the "L" bracket for that is bolted to the rear lower cover?

To me it looks like the old tie in point for the 205 on the divorces hi-boys for the additional support rod.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think it was a lift point for placing the drivetrain into the chassis.