• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New cowl install questions...

speedysprocket

Hello,
I'm fitting my new firewall and am a little confused about what to do with the top frame piece that the windshield and hood hinges attach to. Pictures below, do I trim the top piece to fit inside the firewall, or cut the firewall to let the cowl through?
Thanks,
Alex

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Do you have a wider view picture? Looks like you have the older cowl patch panel. There is a newer one from Dynacorn that fits much better.

OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

The heavy gage piece that's not coated in the picture is what I'm calling the cowl. I came from Bronco Graveyard about 2 years ago. It looks like I need to trim off the last few inches of the bottom of it on the left side, but I want to make sure that's right first. Thanks!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Whats the other side look like? I think that panel is too short or needs the bottom corner trimmed. I had one of those, but returned it and ordered the better fitting newer panel. Havent installed it yet though.

Here's a pic of a stock cowl:

Attachments

• S3010773.JPG
    S3010773.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

I have the cowl pushed to the right in the picture. If anything, it's a little long. Can you post a picture with the hood higher so I can see where and how the cowl meets the firewall?
Thanks!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
These are the best I can do. I have hood struts and thats as high as the hood goes. Hopefully someone else will come along shortly. Sorry for all the goop the PO globbed POR and some other sealant all over it.

Attachments

• S3010776.JPG
    S3010776.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 166
  • S3010777.JPG
    S3010777.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 169
  • S3010780.JPG
    S3010780.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

So should I just trim the front vertical edge of the cowl piece so it fits under the horizontal sheet metal on the driver's side?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
That piece should go under the top cap under the hood. it should come all the way over to where the fender bolts on. Thats the main structure your brake pedal assembly is bolted to. If you cut that off that whole pedal assembly will flex when you hit the brakes. Measure from the edge of the new piece to the bolt holes for the pedal and locate from the pedal bracket and it will be more obvious.

OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

I guess I'm not explaining this well, so I drew on my picture. The area in the red square is what I think I need to cut off. This will let the two yellow square areas overlap, and the green cut line on the cowl will butt up against the green line on the black sheet metal. Is this correct?

70_Steve

Old Guy
I appologize. I don't do bodywork, except for cuting parts of the body off...

But, the part I don't see is how you're aligning the indented part on the black cowl which is intended for the hinge recess. I get no depth perception in the pics, but it looks like you're trying to line all this up with the black cowl piece way too low.

Attachments

• cowl.jpg
    cowl.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 55

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
How do you plan on welding the front part of the cowl under the top deck?

OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

The two pieces are not lined up in the photo. They are only next to each other so I could point out what I'm talking about. I can't make them line up right now because the piece of the cowl in the red square is in the way.
And the firewall isn't welded in either, so no problem welding the two together.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I would try trimming the one you have first. Is the measurement of the length of the replacement panel the same as the measurement from the area circled in red to the same area on the passengers side of the truck? Just to double check that the panel is the correct length. Looks like you just need to trim that lower corner enough to clear the interferring section of the firewall section.

Attachments

• img5798i.jpg
    img5798i.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

Yes, the replacement panel is actually slightly longer than it needs to be to go from door post to door post. Thanks!

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
Yes sir you are correct where you need to cut. The top flange of the U channel (red part) needs cut back and the bottom of the channel (yellow part) runs through.

I crawled under the dash and took this pic. The pic is crappy and its ugly under there but you can see where the bottom of the channel runs in between the kick panel and the cowl extension. The black piece is the cowl extension and the green is the kick panel. Right side of the pic is towards the front of the truck. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Bronco 008.jpg
    Bronco 008.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
S

speedysprocket

Alright, got everything fitted! Now, the distance from end to end at the top of the pillars where the cowl welds to and the windshield will hinge at. Should that be the same width as the windshield frame? And if so, the width on the rear edge of the frame or the front? I have 59 7/8" on the front edge, and 59 1/2" on the rear edge (which is the edge that would butt up against the cowl).?
Thanks!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
If you look at the pic I posted in Post#5 you can see that the stock panel is a little shorter. I think you have a little wiggle room there. As long as you leave yourself some surface area for seam sealer you should be fine.