• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

To Ream or not to Ream?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Im getting ready to order some parts from RuffStuff to do a Chebby TRE TRO swap. Im wondering how easy the knuckles are to ream out? Should i just ream them, or drill them out and weld in the tapered knuckle insert?

Since i already need to buy a reamer to ream the pitman arm the cost of a reamer isnt the deciding factor! The deciding factor is....is it easyer to drill out the knuckle to 7/8" and use there tapered knuckle inserts (inserts are 8 bucks each X 2) or just ream the knuckles since i already will have purchased a reamer?

I also heard RuffStuff has a 10% discount code- (BRONCO)
Wish the sold the reamer then they would be a one stop shop!

Also....a have some 1 1/4" solid bar already. Is that way overkill for the steering or shouldnt it matter?

Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cant you drill the pitman arm also and use the insert? Then you would not need a reamer.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Cant you drill the pitman arm also and use the insert? Then you would not need a reamer.

Im not sure but i believe the answer is NO. The taper needed on the pitman arm is larger (or deeper on the tapered reamer) than on the knuckles. Its the same 7.12deg taper but its larger. If you used the inserts you would still have to over ream them.

jrcflash

The reaming is not difficult, but it is hard to keep the reamer going straight. After doing mine, I wish I had used a drill press.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The inserts are usually tapered on both sides so drilling wont work it will leave a gap and ultimately loosen up. Reaming the knuckles is pretty easy go slow use oil to help cut and check fit often as it is easy to go to far.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The inserts are usually tapered on both sides so drilling wont work it will leave a gap and ultimately loosen up. Reaming the knuckles is pretty easy go slow use oil to help cut and check fit often as it is easy to go to far.

No there not! I have found them for a 7/8" and a 1" hole. just the inside is tapered. There made for this purpose. Finally schooled someone with 18,000 posts!:p

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/INSSTEER.html
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Tapered-GM-TRE-insert_p_1706.html

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well then why ask if they sell ones that fit straight drilled holes.%) honestly I was just going off the ones I used in the past offered by BC. Of course since you have to buy a reamer I'd probably just ream them anyways unless you already have the 7/8 drill bit as well.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I think the knuckle will be stronger if you ream.
Taking an inch hole worth of metal out seems like a lot.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I still thought the taper is the same for the pitman arm and the knuckles.

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
i used my 19.2 volt cordless craftsman drill! (took two batteries) as long as u get a good ream it cuts real easy.

i didnt find it that hard to keep straight. put the drill on low speed. and a good quality cutting oil and take your time.

and BKN is right (i literally just finished up) the pitman and the TRE, with the insert for the drag link end, both need to be tapered deeper on the ream. i taped my mark on the ream and when i did those, i had to take the tape off and ream farther in... caught me off guard but it went smooth!

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I used an Hitachi 18V cordles drill to do mine. I just reamed a little and checked to see if the ball joint fit and continued until it was snug and I could get the castle nut and carter clip on. It went really fast with a new reamer. I stayed with the under just to avoid any clearance issues.

Attachments

• ruffstuff.JPG
    ruffstuff.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 114

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wish I would hav done the taper while I had the knuckles off. Does anyone have a source for a good reamer

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you think reaming is too difficult try drilling a 7/8 or 1" round hole. at least if you goof up the ream job you have other options.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I'm in the 'ream em' camp. I did the tapered inserts on some Dana 60 knuckles and they turned out OK but I only did it because they were already tapered for 1-ton TRU and I didn't have any choice but to use the inserts if I wanted TRO.

1167420520_feaGu-M.jpg

JSBX

Contributor
I just reamed out my second set of knuckles with a rearmer I bought from snap-on. It still cut very good. I used a 3/8 drive air ratchet. It is easy to control the speed. I went slow and used a lot of cutting oil. Check for fit often. I almost went to deep. Very easy job just make sure to start the reamer straight.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ok so i think the smart thing to do is ream them. That way if in the future something goes wrong i still have the option of doing the inserts.

Crude dude

Like mentioned a few times, it is very easy to go too far so drill slow and check often, I learned the hard way and had to locate a new knuckle. Speedway auto has a really good reamer for $75-$80.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
i bought my reamer off amazon for like 30 bucks...worked just fine on the knuckles