• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rocker replacement questions

mortimersnerd

I've got part of the rocker cut out this evening and looking at it got me thinking. I'm planning 2x6 tube steel sliders. Is there any reason I can't cut the rocker panel really short and make the slider flush with the underside of the upper sheet metal of the rocker? In other works, could I cut off pretty much the entire rocker and weld in the steel tube? I'd have to trim the bottom of the door down some to make it fit, but it would give tons of clearance, save me a decent amount of repair work and save me some money on replacement sheetmetal.

Tmckinney

Loc.
Pearland, Houston
Resurrection!!!

I was just chopping pipe to do this mod.
Don't have the money to make my bronco perfect, but i have enough to make it look decent and work.

Welding a U to the frame
Building it out to bud against the outer rocker
Then gonna drill through whats left of the rocker and attatch rock skis to the U welded to the frame

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
Trimming the door how much? If you cut the whole lip of the door skin... You'll still have some repair work there
If I remember right... Eck cut his rocker at the horizontal return on the rocker (basically flush) with the door bottom
IMO it would still give you plenty of room as well as a lip to weld to

OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

Holy dead thread, batman. Yeah, I did Brett's rockers the same way eck did his and really like that setup. Mine will get done the same way.