• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lift gate handle

bushman_22

Loc.
Aloha, OR
I was wondering does anyone make a replacement lift gate handle that will accept the original Ford lock cylinder? All of the ones I have seen come with lock cylinder and key. Even bought a couple to test and the new cylinder is shorter that the factory one. Can't swap them. Just asking

Bushman_22

hotrod351

im in the same boat as you, good handle but no key. did you find a solution to being able to use your original handle.

tbratz

I just took my factory handle apart and after I cleaned it up realized my ignition key fit it and it works. It was so crudded up inside the key never would even go in the key hole. Once I got the tumbler out I was thinking I could have it re-keyed, but turned out I don't have too. I took it off about 25 years ago and replaced it with an after market one so I could lock it. I saw the factory one in a box the other day and decided to take it apart and mess with it. There is a little nipple on the end of the tumbler that activates a the small lock pin when you turn the key. Mine was worn off, so I welded a small glob on the tumbler and ground it down to fit in the lock pin. Works good as new now and turns out after all these years the ignition ket still locks it. I have not been able to find a quality after markert one comparable to the factory one and glad I decided to tear it apart.