• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone with solid door glass, no vents?

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
Seems like a doable project since the glass is flat. Has anyone done this? Remove the door vent and install one larger glass for both that rolls up and down?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think a lot of people want to, but I've only seen a couple that actually have.
Can't remember exactly, and don't have any pics on my computer to post up, so if you haven't tried yet, give the search button a quick shot.

You could try "wing window" or "side vent" in your search, but if you don't have any luck with that wording, (I usually don't at first!), lengthen the search phrase to something like "removing vent wing" or similar.
Might have to try a couple of times, but something should pop up. I believe someone just posted pictures of one less than 2 weeks ago.

Good luck. Hopefully someone will have a link or more info for you.

Paul

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
There are quite a few that went and removed the vent window. Here are a couple of pics. Quite a few hot rod shops have delete kits. A lot of work tho!

Here a few threads for you to look at:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172877&highlight=vent+window+delete

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115673&highlight=vent+window+delete

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81034&highlight=vent+window+delete

attachment.php

attachment.php

TAC71

Contributor
I did a vent window delete with one piece glass. The glass fills the whole opening and goes up/down fully. I will post some pics tonight.

OP
OP
G

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
ok. So the trick is keep a triangle metal like late model cars and trucks. I can see shaping that to whatever mirrors you can get at the pick n pull.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i think the triangle may have something to do with the front channel for glass. i personally think the vent window looks better than the triangle. if was going to eliminate the vent window i would want it with out the triangle, would look so much cleaner and better. with the triangle it obvious there is a mod.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have to agree with the rigidity, but even though I would have thought the clearance necessary, some have succeeded without it.
And while I could take or leave the look of the triangle, the first thing I think of is that it's a great place to mount a high-mount mirror.
Mounting the swing-away truck mirrors is sometimes hard to position the passenger side for a good view, but up there on the triangle, some large-bodied mirror would probably be real good.

Then again, there's always them thar pillar mounted spot lights...

Paul

3.8SC Bronco

Loc.
Elkhart
I've thought about replacing the vent windows with outside mirrors but I'm not much of a fabricator. If someone could come up with mirrors that replace the pita wing windows I think there'd be alot of people buying them.

TAC71

Contributor
The glass cannot go right to the front of the door. The hinges and thier reinforcments are in that area. These frames were hand fabbed stainless steel on fiberglass doors. They are power windows using a modified stock crank. I built this truck 3 yrs ago for a customer. He likes it better than his
GT40, but hey , who wouldn't ,its a Bronco.

Attachments

• 100_3098.jpg
    100_3098.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 582
  • 100_3093.jpg
    100_3093.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 559
  • 100_3094.jpg
    100_3094.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 587

samamarshall

Nice work...build me one :D. I'm not to hot on the color combo, but the mirrors/windows and trim look great. So does what I can see of the dash!

strokers

The glass cannot go right to the front of the door. The hinges and thier reinforcments are in that area. These frames were hand fabbed stainless steel on fiberglass doors. They are power windows using a modified stock crank. I built this truck 3 yrs ago for a customer. He likes it better than his

I have also been wanting to do this mod. Since you have done it would you say that i could perform this using the vent window channel fabbed into about a 4 inch spacer back from the front of the window ? Reuse stock crank and custom made glass ? That just seems too easy like there is something i am missing.

huntersmky

Loc.
Madison, MS
that is one sweet bronco minus the purple bottom. Black would have looked so much better, but hey it's not my rig. I like the work you did.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ

That looks great! Any more details on this?