• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hickey Sidewinder Winch Installation

76_fordbronco

I just purchased a Hickey Sidewinder winch for my Bronco. The Winch was originally on a 76' Jeep Cherokee. Does anyone have a layout for installing one of these on a Bronco e.g. drawings I can work from to build a mount?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I just purchased a Hickey Sidewinder winch for my Bronco. The Winch was originally on a 76' Jeep Cherokee. Does anyone have a layout for installing one of these on a Bronco e.g. drawings I can work from to build a mount?

I ain,t got no stinking drawings but I fer sure got a crappy Hobart welder that we can scap some welds with

;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mike, I don't have any drawings but I do have the Polish blueprint.

Attachments

• Bronco 053.jpg
    Bronco 053.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Bronco 054.jpg
    Bronco 054.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Bronco 055.jpg
    Bronco 055.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Bronco 056.jpg
    Bronco 056.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Bronco 057.jpg
    Bronco 057.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Bronco 059.jpg
    Bronco 059.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
76_fordbronco

76_fordbronco

Mike, I don't have any drawings but I do have the Polish blueprint.

Thanks Phil, I was looking to see if anyone had specific plans before I spent a lot of time doing some work someone else had already done. I hope to see you tomorrow at Rox's. I should be there after 4:30 PM.

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
I have a Sidewinder winch that I plan on mounting on my Bronco. It was mounted on a 20' flatbed trailer that a bought.
I've never heard/seen of them before I ended up with one.

Did Sidewinder make different sizes of these winches ?
If so, how do you determine the sizes ?

YNOTBOB2007

I have one also & told by the P.O. that there is an oil hole on top that is only accessible with the winch dropped. Can anyone verify this?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a Sidewinder winch that I plan on mounting on my Bronco. It was mounted on a 20' flatbed trailer that a bought.
I've never heard/seen of them before I ended up with one.

Did Sidewinder make different sizes of these winches ?
If so, how do you determine the sizes ?

There was a mini sidewinder rated at 8,000 lbs and the bigger sidewinders rated at 9,000 to 10,000 lbs. Mine is not the mini.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have one also & told by the P.O. that there is an oil hole on top that is only accessible with the winch dropped. Can anyone verify this?

No. There is an oil fill plug on top and I have checked it there before. My winch has never been off since it was installed. I know this because it's actually welded to the frame.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Neighbor had one of those. Worked ok, but having the drum down in the weeds caused friction issues over time. I would make sure to be able to flush out the drum area with a garden hose on a regular basis.

OP
OP
76_fordbronco

76_fordbronco

Well after a year plus of my new (to me) winch sitting in a storage locker in San Diego, I get to pick it up next weekend. I hope to enjoy a couple of meals of great Mexican food while I'm there too.

Desert Rider

Loc.
Albuquerque
Have the Manual

I have the winch on my 76 Sport. I also have the manual, which I think has some drawings and specs. PM me and I will send you a copy. Good Luck

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I picked one up a while back,it was on a bronco and came with a push bar/headlight surround thing.looks to be a decent built thing ,just don't know how it will look until it's on.Right now it's in pieces and kind of on the back burner.The mounting plate looks to be model specific...and heavy.