• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cleveland swap

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I doubt it. I think the tranny bolt pattern is different along with exhaust headers. Try searching it there should be something on here for it.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Yes it will.

headers - Sanderson Headers #FC3
oilpan - 78-79 351M bronco or 4x4 truck 351M,400M
top radiator hose - 79 pontiac with 400
lower hose - 5.0 lower hose mod
use same motor mounts and trans of similiar year (no late models due to balance weight difference.

I had a pic site up on the swap but it got deleted (free host, went to pay)

[youtube]A_FCuAP3HSA[/youtube]

Quick & Dirty

Yes it will.

oilpan - 78-79 351M bronco or 4x4 truck 351M,400M

I used the 80-84? 351M/400 pan. 2 and 4wd are the same rear sump pan. Not perfect but works good with a little clearancing. I used it because it was still available new at the Ford dealership at the time I did the swap. ('95-ish)

As stated, the trans and engine mounts are the same as 302. 351M/400 and 460 distributor are the same, so you can upgrade to Duraspark easily.

The pan "self-clearanced" after some big bumps. Stock bump stops on 2" lift springs.
panclear.JPG

Throttle linkage is very close to valve cover. Need to tweek it a little for clearance. No body lift, original saggy body mounts.

linkage.JPG

Last edited:

Deano

Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of mine with no headers and a 3" body lift
c6e4c023-97cc-5df8.jpg

charlesecarter

Loc.
Goochland, VA
I just got a 70 351 Cleveland 2v from a Torino. Does anyone know if the stock manifolds would clear the frame rails enough to put a custom made exhaust? The driver side looks fine because I do not have to clear the clutch linkage, etc. It's kind if hard to eyeball the dimensions without removing my 302 and install the Cleveland.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
It's tight but clears. There are a couple of different stock exhaust manifold configurations depending on what vehicle was the donor.
Unless you're going with a "built" motor there is no reason to put "headers" on the motor.
The 351C bolts in as easy as a 351W -same motor mounts,same bell housing,clutch,flywheel ,starter.
SHX

bax

Contributor
Old Member
yep its an easy bolt in. passenger side exhaust can be kind of tricky.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If I already had a Cleveland I would do it but otherwise I would go Windsor. They are alot cheaper/easier to find and have great aftermarket support.
Clevelands usually make their power up higher on the tach than a Windsor. Clevelands definitely make more power but that is part of the problem.....the classic car crowd loves them and that keeps their prices pretty darn high.

James Duff used to say the Windsor was a better engine for the eb than a Cleveland due to its low rpm performance. He said it would "out pull and out perform" a Cleveland stock for stock in a four wheelin' application.
But like I said, ....if I already had a Cleveland....I guess I would have a high winding 1/4 mile busting eb......

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's tight but clears. There are a couple of different stock exhaust manifold configurations depending on what vehicle was the donor.
Unless you're going with a "built" motor there is no reason to put "headers" on the motor.

I'm using the stock late-70s 351m/400 truck exhaust manifolds on my 400C and they worked out fine for exhaust routing and clearance.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It's a no no brainer for me. perhaps thats the problem?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
There is a 2v and a 4v version of the Cleveland . I wouldn't put the 4v version in a Bronco unless I was wanting some higher rpm horsepower. The guy who put the Cleveland in mine said he installed an RV type cam - whatever that is. It's torque is down low and I've never had it over 4200rpm
If I had to replace my Cleveland it would be a tough choice - cause I do like the Windsors for the above stated reasons.
SHX.

charlesecarter

Loc.
Goochland, VA
Well, we got the 70 Torino 351 Cleveland dropped in yesterday. It is a snug fit, but it does fit and the stock manifolds clear, although the passenger side is going to be a minor challenge to get the pipe flange to line up without a slight crease in the pipe.

Thanks to everyone for the input.