• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clearance Clarence - exhaust & h20 pump

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Need a little advice from the experts!

Took my rig in to have exhaust put in, and I noticed that the clearance between rear poly tank and brake lines is a little less than the recommended 3 inches (see pics, they have an inch or less clearance).

Is this something to worry about? Can I wrap the exhaust with some heat shield and be ok or do I need to have the exhaust re-routed?

Also, my serp is pretty tight to my electric rad fan (see pic).

First question is am I right that is too tight? I'm thinking body flex or engine torque will put the h20 pump pully bolts right into that fan...

Second question is how much clearance do i need with an electric fan? My options at this point are to a) see if I can press the water pump flange back on the shaft a bit (there's about 3/4" between the back of the flange and the water pump body); b) relocate the bottom radiator mounts (tops are already pushed back about as far as they can go) - but either of these methods only gains me 1/2 - 3/4".

If I need more than 3/4" clearance, I'm going to have to get a new water pump and redo the serp - something I'm not too excited about doing...

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• DSCN1987-1.JPG
    DSCN1987-1.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN1992-1.JPG
    DSCN1992-1.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN1993-1.JPG
    DSCN1993-1.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1996-1.JPG
    DSCN1996-1.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1997-1.JPG
    DSCN1997-1.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 66

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
build yourself a heat shield. Strange as it seems, my 66 has an OEM Ford stock heat shield next to the stock rear tank. I've never seen one before, yet there it is. Just need to get something between tank and pipe to keep direct rediation from hitting poly tank. I don't think wrapping will help much.

Build it to mount on the pipe, use hose clamps to attach. My tacoma has two of these as well. Hard to describe, wish I had a drawing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...QKbt53sBA&sqi=2&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1288&bih=630

Just noticed, I'd be more afraid of cooking your brake fluid, make sure that is shielded as well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Fan is too tight. There is way too much flex. Motor sits on rubber mounts, body sits on rubber mounts, radiator is in rubber mounts. I like to see at least ¾"

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Pretty close to the brake line. You would think they would have turn it down sooner. I have a problem where the shop that did mine turned it to low where the front shaft is, and it might hit. I'm having them fix it.I would probably have them fix it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To be preceded by the ubiquitous roger Roger... ;)
And don't forget to check the radar range first!

Paul