• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 transmission rebuilder near Charlotte, nc

Broyal

Anyone have a recommendation for a transmission rebuilder in Charlotte nc area? I have a 74 with a c-4. I called one shop and was told 1200-1600. Crazy.

Broncmeister

I speak from experience here. It is not that tough of a job. The words transmission rebuild are a scary thing, but the C4 is not exactly the space shuttle. Get yourself the shop manual for the C4, a rebuild kit, and a set of bands, oh and grab a sector shaft seal too if your kit doesn't come with. I did mine over a weekend, and I am far from a mechanic. When I bought my bronco I couldn't even change my own oil, now I am just about finished rebuilding it from the ground up, including mechanical and paint, all done by myself. I made the decision when I bought the old girl that nobody works on my bronco but me, or somebody working with me. The C4 rebuild saved me around a thousand bucks by doing it myself, and the amazing feeling of accomplishment when you are done is awesome.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I speak from experience here. It is not that tough of a job. The words transmission rebuild are a scary thing, but the C4 is not exactly the space shuttle. Get yourself the shop manual for the C4, a rebuild kit, and a set of bands, oh and grab a sector shaft seal too if your kit doesn't come with. I did mine over a weekend, and I am far from a mechanic. When I bought my bronco I couldn't even change my own oil, now I am just about finished rebuilding it from the ground up, including mechanical and paint, all done by myself. I made the decision when I bought the old girl that nobody works on my bronco but me, or somebody working with me. The C4 rebuild saved me around a thousand bucks by doing it myself, and the amazing feeling of accomplishment when you are done is awesome.

I like the home brew rebuild. What were the all-in costs to do it yourself, and were you able to reduce the leaking any?

Broncmeister

I like the home brew rebuild. What were the all-in costs to do it yourself, and were you able to reduce the leaking any?

If I recall it was about 175 bones for the rebuild kit and bands, and 25 bucks to rent a tranny jack for the weekend. The fluid was under 50 bucks for sure, but I cannot remember exactly how much that was. I still had a small drip right at the pan, but some srategic pounding at the bolt holes with a light hammer fixed that. Over the years the pan had warped due to overtightening of the bolts at the pan. Price wise it was very inexpensive, under 300 to do the rebuild myself. Labor wise though you should prepare, it was fairly time consuming. As I said, I did it in a weekend.... an entire weekend ;)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
BroncosbyBart is in Charlotte, so is Nickstrix. They are great at giving advice. There is a fella that rebuilds C4 up around Spartanburg SC. From what I have heard he specializes is C4 only, and does them really cheap. SC74 may chime in and give you better information.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I second Cooks Racing in Cowpens, SC. Call and talk to Bobby - (864) 463-4769.

He has built a couple C4's for me and multiple for Karl Bradley in all of his EB's. Very reasonable price and top notch people to deal with. Tell him it's in an EB and you know Robert from Greenville with the orange rock crawler. He has copies of both of the Bronco Driver magazines with Karl's cover shot and my cover shot. He can build it for street, racing, off-road, you name it.