• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

spare tire carrier

harder93

i just bought a 1970 bronco half cab but it has the wagons full cab on it so it never came with the swing out tire carrier i was wondering how does that mount up to the body i just picked one up for 30 bucks with two sets of hinges and would like to put it on

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You may want to purchase the backing plate that has nuts welded to it. I think I got mine from JBG, fairly inexpensive. Makes it a lot easier install than having to fit small hands behind the corner to put washers and nuts on. I just had my entire unit sandblasted and powder coated for $60. Put new nylon inserts in the hinges and it swings out nice and looks great!

Bronco Maniac

I am installing a carrier on my Bronco as well. I bought the backing plates from a vendor seems like 8-10 dollars each. It is a little tricky to get the plates up in there, seems like they will only go one way.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Most vendors sell most all those parts. You could look thru the "free Stuff" or "For Sale" section. I've seen entire units given away for free. I got replacement pieces from Wild Horses (link is below). Buying new can be costly. Plus do not put a big tire on it. Yeah there are those who put 37s and 35s on theirs. It was meant for a stock size tire weighing like 40lbs. 33s are usually the normal cut-off on tire size for factory tire carriers. I have skinny 33s and works good, eventually I will go with an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Early_Bronco_Tire_Rack

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Does anyone want the orginal spare tire off of a 67frame bronco? It has never hit the road...just rolling around in the shop....by it self..

pjsiemer

On a similar subject, I've got all the pieces for the swing-away tire carrier ('73 Bronco half-cab) and I'm interested in remounting it. But I can't find a clear photo or drawing of how the thing was put together to start with. For instance, I've seen the latch mounted to mesh with the top rail of the swing arm and also mounted to the bottom rail. I am perfectly capable of going to a lot of trouble to do it dead wrong so I'm trying to read first, cry later instead of my usual approach. Thanks.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
On a similar subject, I've got all the pieces for the swing-away tire carrier ('73 Bronco half-cab) and I'm interested in remounting it. But I can't find a clear photo or drawing of how the thing was put together to start with. For instance, I've seen the latch mounted to mesh with the top rail of the swing arm and also mounted to the bottom rail. I am perfectly capable of going to a lot of trouble to do it dead wrong so I'm trying to read first, cry later instead of my usual approach. Thanks.

Go to TBP and search on Tire Carrier. There are some exploded view drawings on there that will help.

pjsiemer

Thanks. Next question(s). 1) I have the two hinges and backplates but I'm short the eight bolts that put them together. Any idea where to get some? Second, the jaws of my latch, fully closed and with a rubber bumper installed, are too wide to secure the gate when it swings shut. Is my latch deformed? Is there a quick fix? The gate is fitted with that stainless-steel tube that protects from scratches but the gate still won't lock into the latch. Any advice would be much appreciated.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's a used latch, it's very possible that it's distorted from use. Only thing for it that I know is to fiddle with it, bending it here and there (usually the lower half I think?) or filling the gaps with larger material until you're happy.
I've done both over the years, and was generally getting the results I expected, but if you ask anyone who's run a stock carrier for very long, they'll most likely tell you that it's never going to be perfect. Mine worked as well as I expected, but I spent years trying to find a suitable replacement with better latch (like off the later 90's Broncos) or a new design like on a bumper.
I eventually went with an on-bumper carrier.

Paul