• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine casting question

AZ67

Casting on block is:

D1OE-6015-AA
OL19

From checking many resources, I got that it's a '71 302. My question is about the third character O. The O code is for a '69-'76 Torino. Does anyone know if the O block was also used in Broncos or did a PO put a Torino block in my '67 Bronco? The Bronco also has a C4 and J shift D20, which are not original to my '67, so I'm wondering if a PO replaced the engine, T case, and tranny all from the same '71. Thanks for all the knowlegde that you guys provide!!

Quick & Dirty

The casting number tells when and what engineering team changed the block design. It has little to do with what or when it was installed.

A D1OE block would be used for most every 302 from 71-73, until it was replaced by the D4DE block.

The 0L19 says the block was cast Nov 19, 1970.

C4 and J-shift came in 73. Could be original with the engine from a 73 Bronco, but no real way to tell.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
O stands for the fairlane/torino line as you already know. as was said doesnt really mean that casting was only used in fairlanes and torinos. It just means that the egnine was orginally designed for that line of cars. Of course more than likely since your engine is a 71 and the bronco is a 67 then your engine was definetly swapped in. Doesnt really matter what it came out of at this point as its just another 302. There are many different castings I've seen D2OE blocks as well. not sure how many other castings there are. but TZ blocks were also supposed to be common in broncos.

OP
OP
AZ67

AZ67

Thanks for the replies! It's been a daily driver for 11 years and all I've had to do to the engine is routine maintenance. Since I bought it, there have been small leaks from valve covers and oil pan. Still has decent power for a carbed v8 at 7000 feet. I would like to change as many gaskets as I can without pulling the engine. So, I guess I'll tell the parts guy it's a '71 302.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeap that will work pretty much all the 289/302's are the same up to about 82 even then most of the gaskets except of a few still interchange.

slim811

Contributor
D4de-6015-BA 4k24

I was searching and thought I would resurrect this old thread. 1st purchase was a 1969 with above casting number. After checking the VIN and then seeing the motor mounting to frame was cut, figured it out it came with a 6 cylinder. Had to scrap the body but kept the engine + PS and auto. I ordered a rebuild kit from northernautoparts.com years 1972-1976. The person to rebuild the engine kept repeating a 302 is a 302. Thinking it may have been swapped from another Bronco along with the C4. Now I am not so sure? Let's start with the engine: if the oil dip stick is part of the timing chain cover that means it was taken from a car doesn't it? What problems can I expect when putting it into a 1968 Bronco which already had a 289 so motor mounts should not be an issue. Also the man who started the disassemble got cancer and passed away quickly. His brother was able to move everything to my garage so i guess I will be learning how to rebuild a 302 with his help & youtube. Accessories removed. Heads are off, intake off, manifolds off,cam is out, Oil pan/pump off, have new starter/alternator, new no points distributor, I think fuel & water pump. Will check all the boxes this weekend when it's suppose to be 50 degrees, not -3 tonight. This will be a summer start at earliest and his brother is a mechanic at Ford for 30 years doing most of the work, also owns a bronco for plowing. Keep in mind the 1969 donor was a running motor and was able to drive around the yard. Am I just making more problems knowing the engine maybe some of the parts have not come out of an early Bronco (ie. PS C4)? Thanks