• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w column shift problem?

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
Anyone running a 351 with a c4 column shifter? The shift rod is hitting the #8 plug wire. Can't even get it on the plug. Before I start bending stuff would like to know what you did to make it work? It has a 1" body lift if that matters??

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
I am facing the same issue I too have a 1" BL what I had to do was drop shifter into low gear this game me enough room to slip on plug wire. Now mine only grazes it when in p and r so I'm not to worried about it, I was going to give my rod a slight bend if needed

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
I did that too. Only mine gets bound up so bad I can't move the shifter.afraid ill break the spark plug.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a tough spot, I have MSD wires and it's angled enough that I haven't had any problems with it, it is a pain to change the plug. I ran from 2005 to 2008 with a 1" body lift and then changed to 2". I have the adapter that Duff sells on the trans end, that might make a difference, if you don't have that you might try it.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a common problem. I'm running a 1" BL and noticed this. Hasn't caused a problem yet, it is just a little annoying that it rubs.

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
Kinda wonder what's different? I have edelbrock aluminum heads and ford Motorsport plug wires( if that matters??). Rod is factory and also column. Gonna try some creative bends on a spare shifter rod to see if I can make it work. If not I'll have to fab a new rod using the factory ends.:p

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
Problem solved! A strategically placed bend cured the problem. Just at the max of the shift rod but seems o.k.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Thats what I did, I bent the shift rod to clear. This happened after the FLaming River column was put in.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
this turned into more than a minor annoyance. I was running some old wires that eventually broke and shorted to the rod. I don't know how long I've been running on 7 or fewer cylinders. Going to bend the shift rod next time I get a chance.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
pulled the linkage(trick:heat the bushing in the column tab that keeps the linkage in place, then pry out with a pry bar or heavy screwdriver), heated it till glowing deep red, hit it a couple times about 6" below the top, maybe 15*. Now it fits MUCH better, doesn't rub at all. Took all of about 15 minutes to pull, bend, reinstall.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will have to look at my friend's '73 that has a similar issue. It hasn't been a huge issue yet though.
MSD wires with a fairly good bend on the connector (the 90° might work better?) and a very tightly held wire up in the holders to keep it away from the shift arm.
It's close, but seems ok. Might go back in and revisit and rebend though, if that's been working for you guys.

Paul

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I'm running a set of Summit plug wires with the 90* boots without any clearance issues.