• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Narrowing hp d44 TO WAH or not to wah

fordtrucksrule

What do you all think should i do the WAH on my high pinion dana 44 or NOT! I Already have cage arms under my bronco. i am seeking an opinion PROS and CONS

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I'm a huge fan of the WAH. But if you already have long arms I advise against throwing a WAH into the mix.

OP
OP
fordtrucksrule

fordtrucksrule

Hey Dusty do you know a good place where i can get gears locker and install kit for a reasonable price?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think I'd do the WAH it makes narrowing much easier. Of course it also makes it more expensive but if your looking for max flex then its the way to go. I think there was a thread a week or so ago talking about a similar subject a few guys have both long arms and WAH. works well off and on road.

OP
OP
fordtrucksrule

fordtrucksrule

Well i am looking at 600 to narrow this d44 and the way is 399 plus labor to install it. i could do it as long as i can cut the ends square.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Hey Dusty do you know a good place where i can get gears locker and install kit for a reasonable price?

Not really. I would check with the vendors here to see if you can get a good deal while supporting one of the supporting vendors of this site. Otherwise probably the usual suspects, Complete Off-Road or 4WP.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Let's see a build thread on this HP44 Robert!

I think if I put a HP 44 on mine i would hit the oil pan too much. It grazes it now at full compression and it's been clearanced. I do have a deep dual sump pan.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Kirk I've got a HP D44 on mine, with only 2.5" spring lift. After it "clearances" the oil pan its good to go! LOL

360 4V

I looked into narrowing my Dana 44 high pinion. You just cut 6" off the right tube and weld the inner knuckle back on. Second, you buy a right inner axle for an Early Bronco. Third, you weld your axle wedges on.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Kirk I've got a HP D44 on mine, with only 2.5" spring lift. After it "clearances" the oil pan its good to go! LOL

ha! I guess as long as it does not "clearance" it into your oil pickup your all good! I have a 13 quart pan on a 351C.

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
Kirk, by clearanced you mean jumping it 6' in the air and letting everything adjust itself to place as it comes back to the ground? (snapping the axle housing)?

Jeff

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I looked into narrowing my Dana 44 high pinion. You just cut 6" off the right tube and weld the inner knuckle back on. Second, you buy a right inner axle for an Early Bronco. Third, you weld your axle wedges on.

You don't even need to move the wedges. Just take the 6" from inboard of the wedge on the long side. That's how we do them in the 78/79's with cast wedges.

360 4V

You take 6" from inboard of the long side? You mean you cut 6" out of the center of the long tube and weld it back together 6" shorter?

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Resurrection/hijack

I hope you guys don't mind bringing this thing back to life, but I just got a 78 HP44 and I'd really like to know if the 6" cut from the long side is the right way to go? That's where the original thread stopped...leaving me hanging.
That seems too easy.

Any conclusions/concerns/ideas?

u10072

Bronco Guru
Dusty--- I have a HP 44, an EX engine with the extreme mounts-- at completely full bump I am not close at all to the oil pan-- the Ex pan has a huge cut-out that I think is a game changer.