• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Protofab Cam latch opens while driving

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have attempted to adjust my cam latch on multiple occasions on my protofab rear bumper. I have had several occasions, usually on the highway, Where it will vibrate open and swing out. With a 35" spare it could do some damage if it hit something. Is there a trick to adjusting it? I'm thinking a safety strap / cable is in order but I would like to get the damn thing to stay shut without the strap. I currently have a bungee cord on there but I need something less ghettoish. Anyone else have this issue?

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Wow that's pretty crazy hasn't happened to me knock on wood but I would give Mike a call at protofab and see what he says.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Wow that's pretty crazy hasn't happened to me knock on wood but I would give Mike a call at protofab and see what he says.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'll shoot him a call if I can't figure something out. I hope its just the way I have it adjusted thats the problem. I can't even really test it right now as I'm in the middle of a C4 conversion. I searched and did not find anyone else having this problem. I stopped in at Protofab a year ago and they are great folks. Just thought someone else might have had and fixed this issue.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
there a couple good adjustments on those bumpers...ive notice my tire swingout is easier now to lock shut. ill be looking at mine here soon.

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I have the same issue as you. The fuel can/cooler side works great. I've tried adjusting the spare tire side and I just can't get is as solid as the other side. I honestly think there's something wrong with the spare tire side because the other side works so good. I've been using a standard black rubber bungee cord that you really cant notice, but I wish I didn't have to. Let me know what you find out.

James

pbwcr

The latch has to be tight a hell. Keep working on it until you can hardly open it.
PaulW

Dannyboy71

mine has a black velcro strap about an inch and a half wide wrapped around it. I bought the truck with it so now I guess I know why.

broncotom

Loc.
CO,100 Miles to Moab
I have that latch too but have not had any problems yet. When you get an answer from Mike would you post it on here so I know what to do if mine every has that problem? Thanks

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
any pics of this thing cause I'm getting ready to order one...

66horse

Bronco Guru
I had this problem at one time. The problem was i had bent my bumper and did not realize it.

Worth taking a quick look from the side.

Bent it back and all good.

the-glove

Loc.
Los Angeles
Makes me feel better that other people are also solving their cam lock problem on their tire carriers with bungee cords......lol, I have a black rubber strap keeping mine down.

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
I had the same problem, I fixed my by adjusted it tight and putting a tack weld on the adjustment part. It keep on moving a little over time.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yep, same problem on the '76. I posted this problem a year or so ago. Still does it on bumpy roads. If there is a sweet spot, I have not yet found it. I hope somebody has the answer.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
My bumper is about a year old now and I haven't had a problem on the street. The cooler side fits really tight but the other side is somewhat of a bear to adjust tight and I have yet to find the correct formula.

Please post an update when you find out. Protofab makes som good stuff.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Ok, I feel better that I'm not alone. I'm going to look at it some more this weekend. I have tried to tighten it up but I get to the point where the latch won't reach over the hook. I'll try moving the stop and see if that helps at all.

Attachments

• IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 100

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I've been trying for many years to get them to sell me a cam latch that they use. It used to be available, but not anymore.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
yep mine is brand new. the tire side is tight as hell but the cooler side is way to easy to latch. i have tried moving those cams around but doesn't get any tighter. i havent had it open yet but just wish it was tighter

bosshoff

Contributor
Google NRS straps

This is a ghetto fix which is better than a bungee. NRS straps are used to lash down rafts. Good stuff.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mike will help you guys out, I had the same problem and had to adjust the little wedge that stops the arm.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My understanding is that it is an adjustment issue. It latches by using and ecentric. It needs to be adjusted so that the ecentric cams over. That is when you latch it, the ecentric pulls tight, then just as it full closes it goes past the tightest possible clamping load and slightly loosens as the handle goes full latch. think of it like a pair of vice grips. As you close the handle it gets tighter and tighter, but just as the handle aproaches snapping shut the effort goes away and it overcenter and the tension is now forcing the handle closed instead of apart. If the cam latch isn't properly adjusted then it would be like not fully latching a pair of vice grips (or using some bad harbor freight locking pliers).