• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel coming out of drivers header with new EFI

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been installing my steering, radiator, shifter and so on so I can trailer it to a muffler shop and drive it on their lift to get my exhaust ran now that I have my EFI running. I have cranked it occasionally and it runs really well even though I dont have my o2 sensors installed yet. I cranked it yesterday and noticed that I had unburnt fuel dripping out of my drivers side header after turning it off and was wondering if this indicates a injector problem, or just that it is running rich due to no o2 sensors?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is it fuel or condensed water vapor? What happens with fuel pressure when shut off? Don't start it. Just turn the key on to build pressure then turn it off and watch the pressure. It should take a long time for pressure to bleed off.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It smells a lot like fresh gas. My fuel pressure will hold steady for hours after turning off. I will still have 10-15 lbs the next day.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm gonna say its smells rich due to not having O2 sensors hooked up and as Viper stated its just condensation. When the engine is first started its gonna get more fuel dumped until it reaches operating temp just like a choke.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pretty sure it is water.

Soak some up in a paper towel. Walk way far away from the garage and try to light it on fire. If it burns, it is fuel. But I suspect it will be like trying to light a wet paper towel. You will know one way or the other real fast.

Smell is probably from running it without O2s.

If you actually had fuel dripping out the exhaust, the engine generaly won't run. If it did run it would run very poorly (with a bad miss to it) and the fumes would be so bad you could not take it. burning eyes fumes.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I just had a really strong gas smell from my exhaust and took the injectors in to get cleaned/checked. Turns out I had one that was way over fueling - normal for these is 111 ml, this injector was 156ml. The fumes were eye watering bad, smelled like someone poured a gallon of gas on the ground at your feet. But there was no fuel dripping out of the exhaust.

Bronk

Loc.
Somewhere in Sask.
With the engine not running o'2 sensors you Have put your computer in "limp" mode which will make the engine run way rich but will run.