• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal vapor canister

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I guess I missed that one. Thank You

On a slightly different note, mine has only one line that runs from the rear tank, is that correct?

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
Thanks for the offer I appreciate it, but I think I would like to eliminate the the canister.
What are you going to do to change the original system?

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Thanks for the offer I appreciate it, but I think I would like to eliminate the the canister.
What are you going to do to change the original system?

Just curious, but what do you see as the down side to the canister setup? I have one with no canister, and I am dealing with tank over flow problems (unconnected vent lines), gas fumes smells in the garage, and am considering that this vent issue could possibly related to some vapor lock I am experiencing on hotter days.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I have a charcoal cannister that's not connected, but no evaporator bottle. BCB tank I'm installing. The inlet on my air filter is connected straight to the valve cover. Do I need to redo this (find a bottle, hook it all up)? If so, where do I connect the canister and what do I do with the vacuum coming off the valve cover?

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
Just curious, but what do you see as the down side to the canister setup? I have one with no canister, and I am dealing with tank over flow problems (unconnected vent lines), gas fumes smells in the garage, and am considering that this vent issue could possibly related to some vapor lock I am experiencing on hotter days.

I guess it's just the "less is better" thought pattern.

Michael Mc

Loc.
Cullman
Charcoal Canister

I found an exact match on a V6 1994 Ford Explorer at a pull a part last week. Im replacing my original with it.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I would advise keeping the canister and getting it working properly. I removed mine several years ago thinking I didnt need any emisison stuff on my rig. After years of fighting fumes in the garage and gas leaking out of the vent lines, I finally reinstalled it and now no more fumes or gas leaking out on the ground.

Greg

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
Mine has been disconnected for years, but I didn't know it. The hose was broken about a foot below the canister. Never had any fumes, no gas on the floor etc. I blew into the hose and I could hear it in the tank, so I guess it's been venting. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

BRONCOBERT

Any problems running one if you don't have the evaporator tank behind the passenger seat.
Did 77 have both? because I found the bracket on the firewall bot nothing in the wheel well behind the seat.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Any problems running one if you don't have the evaporator tank behind the passenger seat.
Did 77 have both? because I found the bracket on the firewall bot nothing in the wheel well behind the seat.

76 and 77 did not use the separator bottle. The theory is that the canister on the firewall is mounted high enough that liquid getting into it is unlikely. You can use the squarish late model style and it will hang right on there, screw hole and all.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...The inlet on my air filter is connected straight to the valve cover. Do I need to redo this (find a bottle, hook it all up)? If so, where do I connect the canister and what do I do with the vacuum coming off the valve cover?

No. Or I should say, "not necessarily" depending on how yours is hooked up.

The one you have is probably the PCV clean air return line.
From about late-'70 or so, the passenger side valve cover had a large hose running up to the underside of the center portion (filtered air side) of the air cleaner housing with a fiber type filter attached.
It's cleanable (they get gunked up usually) but also replaceable with a new element that should still be available from the local parts store.

The inlet for the fuel vapor canister hose is a similar sized plastic fitting, but has no filter and is sticking out of the round bell portion (pre-filtered side) of the air cleaner housing. This hooks directly to one of the larger ports on the charcoal canister.

Where is the hose that you're talking about?

Paul

matts460

If you live in state thats exemp from emission junk on vintage cars etc. then why waste money trying to restor some crummy Charchoal canister thats broke etc.? Why would you not just get a vented gas cap and plug off evap vent tubes on gas tank. You know just like first few years would have been. I have never smelled gas or had any leak out!! LOL thats why plug off the tubes at the tank. My 77 bronco is the newest old car/truck ive ever owned and all that stuff was missing on mine. Im not about to waste time and money on that, i preffer to consentrate on keeping my truck running down the road. Just a thought..