• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bolts won't budge

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These two bolts will not break free. (center of pics-water pump thru block , one on each side of the motor)
I'm trying to strip the block before it goes to the machine shop.
Need to save the timing cover , it's an explorer motor and I want to use the front dress.

Do these need to be finessed out for some reason or can I cut them or shear them off , or will that give me troubles down the road?
Thought I'd save the machinist some hassle.

I just got the motor from my storage unit , where I was working the bolts quite hard , but now that I am at the house I can break out some bigger tools before I start cutting actually.

Thanks,
HD

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They look pretty dry. Soak in PB blaster and let them sit and/or heat with a torch. They typically have sealer on the threads so you need to soften it with heat. Heat the thread portion not the nut to get the fastest transfer.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Soak them with PB for a few days. Sometimes if I "tighten" them just a tad first, I can then back them out. Sometimes. If that doesn't work, clean off the PB, and use the Fire Wrench.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One had to be decapitated with a grinder and the other succumbed to heat and some back and forth action before it finally gave just a tiny bit and proceeded to fight me for every single fraction of an inch on the entire way out , even after the threads disengaged from each other .

Thanks again ,
HD