• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

License plate LED

robinsoncc

So I put together a LED for the license plate. I think all together it ran about $1.89. Let me know if anyone wants the specs and pics. It is really easy. Take it easy.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Got any pics? Sounds like it might be interesting..

OP
OP
R

robinsoncc

I'll put them up tomorrow. Where should I put them up? All you need in a LED 40 mA with a with a 330 resistor.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
for sure....we like how someone else did stuff.

directions would be great...

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I'm game- I have my plate on my jerry can carrier with no light and the fuzz loves to pull me over for that!

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I'll put them up tomorrow. Where should I put them up? All you need in a LED 40 mA with a with a 330 resistor.

A brief write up with a couple pics submitted on the Tech Articles section would be awesome. I would like to see how you adapted it mechanically, and what LED you chose to use...

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Yes please. Pics, specs, & any info on the "How To" would be great. Thanks.

nrramse

I'm interested too.

I've got LEDs in all places except the license plate and headlights (is it me, or do the headlights seem brighter now?) I guess the 1178 bulb hasn't been replicated as an LED yet. I googled but what I found didn't match up.

OP
OP
R

robinsoncc

Alright sorry about the delay. My Instrumentation professor moved the exam 3 up a week a blew my whole schedule. So I was studying when I was suppose to be doing a write up on the LED license plate MOD. Exam 3 is over with and I got 100. Don't know how I pulled that off. I'm working on the write up now. Sorry about the delay.

OP
OP
R

robinsoncc

So I tried doing something in Tech Articles and it wouldn't give me access. I post the pics on photobucket. This is a crude basic LED I chose the 330 ohm resistor to keep from operating the RadioShack LED @ max amperage. Just use Ohm's law to determine the right size resistor to use with your desired LED. Example: I chose a Jumbo Super Bright LED @ around 99 cents. I don't know the price now. The MAX current or amperage is 40mA so you want to come back off the max by %5-%10 so that the LED last longer. So 12 volts in/.040 amp= 300 Ohms now come back to %5 and I chose a 330 Ohm resistor. Note that this is a crude setup and you could go many ways with it. My next step is to seal the setup into a tube using silicon. Another note on most LEDs there is a flat side on the light emitter that is the cathode which is the NEG the anode(POS) is the rounded side. Cathode=NEG; Anode=POS.

OP
OP
R

robinsoncc

If you guys want to save money buy from DIGIkey you just have to purchase in bulk to offset the shipping cost.

Broncmeister

I know most people do not like ebay, but I bought a package of 50 LED's off of ebay for 10 bucks. They are wide view LEDS, and each LED had 12 inches of wire soldered to the LED leads, one black and one red, and the resistor was soldered inline, and all solder joints were protected with shrinkwrap. All they need is 12 volts, and they light up very nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50X-12V-Wir...033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c6f81e9

I did my dash light bars with the LED's, and once my rebuild is complete I will be making some interior lighting with them, and the license plate light.

OP
OP
R

robinsoncc

Jameco has an assortment of of 200 LEDS for 8 bucks its a grab bag. Resistors come in a grab bag of 1500 for 4 bucks. The more lumen from the LED the more you will pay. IF you spend 25 bucks at Jameco you get a DMM.