• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

advantages of electric fuel pumps ????????

sixtyniner

What are the advantages of electric fuel pumps vs mechanical? I always used mech and never had any problems....till now. ~thanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
One of the big reasons to run an electric fuel pump here in AZ is to avoid vapor lock. Vapor lock will occur most easily in the low pressure part of the line, between the tank and fuel pump. The new gasoline formulations lowered the vapor pressure so vapor lock is more of an issue now than it was even 15 years ago. I mounted my Carter 4070 on the inside of the drivers side frame, just above the rear axle tube. Also ran the fuel line on the outside of the frame.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had vapor lock problems and changed to an electric. I couldn't stand the noise it made and was concerned about the safety. I went back to a mechanical pump, moved the whole fuel line to the outside of the frame, and got rid of the extra filter I had put between the valve and the pump. No more vapor lock issues.

OP
OP
S

sixtyniner

I had vapor lock problems and changed to an electric. I couldn't stand the noise it made and was concerned about the safety. I went back to a mechanical pump, moved the whole fuel line to the outside of the frame, and got rid of the extra filter I had put between the valve and the pump. No more vapor lock issues.

How did removing the extra filter help? I have 2 before the pump and one after the pump....overkill?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Thinking of ways to "kill" the engine, I wanted an electric fuel pump so it would only run when the secret hidden power switch was in the "on" position. For safety, it's hooked up to the oil pressure sensor, so if the engine stops, the gas stops flowing.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> one big advantage to a electric fuel pump is it will never ever fill the engine full of fuel.....mechanical pumps can sometimes develop a pinhole in the diaphragm & still continue to work while running fuel/solvent through the engine.......needless to say, fuel diluting the oil is not a good thing.....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
How did removing the extra filter help? I have 2 before the pump and one after the pump....overkill?

Anything you do that could restrict the fuel to the pump will increase your vaporlock problem. Clean is clean when it comes to fuel and more than one filter won't make it cleaner. More than on also makes troubleshooting more difficult.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Like Blubuckaroo, I'm back to mechanical too after running a couple different electrics for a while. Like he said the gas formulations suck now, but you can make a mechanical work if you lines are run well, you have a quality mechanical pump (I've had pretty good luck with the cheapy Airtex lately), a good rebuild kit on your carb, and make sure you have a good phenolic spacer or thick carb gasket.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
A close to stock vent system is important too.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I have had to LOAN fuel before. It's easy to do when you just remove the line off the carb, find a container of some kind and turn the key on.

OP
OP
S

sixtyniner

Great info thank you. Never had a problem untill the otherday. Replaced pump and filters resulting in no change. wondering if its the cam. So thinking "what if" and now considering electric. As for the mult filters I see your point. But they are all clear plastic and I like to see the fuel there and flowing. I will take at least one out.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I'm running an electric fuel pump because my 95 long block engine didn't come with a mechanical fuel pump ecentric on the cam shaft, and at the same time, I was installing a new wire harness so installing an electric fuel pump on the inside of the frame ahead of the rear tire was strait forward easy.