• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

E brake cable reassebly in brake drum?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
What's the trick to gettin the e brake cable out where it passes thu the floor? I have everything else disconnected. My Hanes manual gives no direction on this other than "undo various clips".

Also, when routing into the drum (at the wheel) did you guys pull ur axles? Looks like its nearly impossible to do without axle removal.

As always, thanks!!

Last edited:

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
For the rear wheel part, don't need to remove axles, just the drums. The new cables will have the spring clips on them (the ones that hold the cable to the backing plate), so don't worry if you booger the old ones. I never did the front cable so I'm of no help there.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you can run a small hose clamp to pull all of the prongs in and then just push it out of the hole. Same with the drums the hose clamp make it much easier

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
So now I'm to the point of connecting the end of the cable inside the brake drum. What in the world is the secret on how to "hook" the barb at the end of the cable? I can see exactly how its supposed to go back in the hook and stay secured but it's like I need 4 hands!

If you look at the picture, I have the barb lined where it has to hook. Looks like the barb has to go to the right, while pushing the spring back to the left and still be able to guide the cable into the hooking assembly.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a specific tool or technique to this?

Any advice appreciated!!

Attachments

• barb.png
    barb.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You just need to pull the spring forward to allow the cable into the slot.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Oh I definitely know "what" needs to be done its just that I'm just struggling with executing the task. Lol. Thought there may be a "trick" to pushing and holding that spring back while mauvering the barb around the hook. Having never seen it done I have no reference. So I guess the trick is keep plugging away till you get it. (?)

I'm using 2 pairs of needle nose pliers. Shud I use something else?

Anyone know why the manufacturer went to a barrel style barb instead of the ball? That round ball seemed much easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Thanks For the feedback all. Sounds like you just Have to muscle thru it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Disconnect the OTHER end of the rear cable, then slide all the slack toward the spring so you can hook it EASILY onto the drum lever. Once that's done, it's MUCH easier to put the front ends of the cable onto the body lever & then attach it to the body.

To compress the sleeve's fingers, use a wrench:

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
You can loosen the e brake cable as said before, or remove the rer brake shoe (if you are comfortable with brakes), or I use needle nose vise grips and muscle it in there. Keep in mind that the end of the cable needs to be angled. Bit to get in the e brake pivot arm.