• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel body assembly

Sdennis

I am a new 69 bronco owner, and I want to rebuild my steel body from a JBG complete steel body kit. Is there any manual that has a body "instruction manual" or dimensions for assembly. My current body is patch after patch of crappy repair, and I wouldnt trust those measurements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thi community is still waiting to see one built. Dynacorn is supposed to be coming out with a omplete tub but that will be Spendy. For the money I would buy a glass body from Bronco Designs.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Thi community is still waiting to see one built. Dynacorn is supposed to be coming out with a omplete tub but that will be Spendy. For the money I would buy a glass body from Bronco Designs.

+1 For the same money, a quality, completed fiberglass tub can be had. I'm not saying that it's better, as they both have plusses and minuses. My decision came down to the fact that I'll be driving it year round. I spoke to Mike last week, and right now, he's taking deposits for December.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I'd find someone selling a "decent" stock steel tub. When I say decent, I mean one with good rear 1/4's, floor, strikers and wheel wells. Also, a good cowl, door posts, upper floor behind the seats and front core support. The common (basically next to impossible to find one without this work needed) problem areas are inner fenders, front floors, kick panels rockers and inner rockers. They can be replaced at a fairly quick pace, and aren't too much $$$ from the vendors. Tubs come up for sale from time to time, but usually don't last long. I've seen them for sale from $1k all the way up to $5k+.

Buying all the available sheetmetal for these vehicles and putting them together is a pretty extensive undertaking especially if this is your first bronco resto. The aftermarket sheetmetal is ok at best at times and can require alot of trimming and beating to get square. Not that it can't be done, but if you're looking to get it back on the road again anytime soon I'd find a "decent" tub, fab up a rotisserie and get it media blasted. That way you can enjoy your patched up ride while you get the other tub in top shape. It will also be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Oh yeah, I do not know of a set of instructions or even a step by step using every aftermarket part to put a tub together.

buckintone

Loc.
Carlsbad
I'd find someone selling a "decent" stock steel tub. When I say decent, I mean one with good rear 1/4's, floor, strikers and wheel wells. Also, a good cowl, door posts, upper floor behind the seats and front core support. The common (basically next to impossible to find one without this work needed) problem areas are inner fenders, front floors, kick panels rockers and inner rockers. They can be replaced at a fairly quick pace, and aren't too much $$$ from the vendors. Tubs come up for sale from time to time, but usually don't last long. I've seen them for sale from $1k all the way up to $5k+.

Buying all the available sheetmetal for these vehicles and putting them together is a pretty extensive undertaking especially if this is your first bronco resto. The aftermarket sheetmetal is ok at best at times and can require alot of trimming and beating to get square. Not that it can't be done, but if you're looking to get it back on the road again anytime soon I'd find a "decent" tub, fab up a rotisserie and get it media blasted. That way you can enjoy your patched up ride while you get the other tub in top shape. It will also be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Oh yeah, I do not know of a set of instructions or even a step by step using every aftermarket part to put a tub together.

What he said!

Matt_brianna

Loc.
Rapid City
So, to answer the original question, yes. I have a bronco graveyard (fall/winter 2010) catalog that has the body layout with all the measurements printed on it. I don't think I have anyway to get it on here though. I wonder if you could get it from them Ina different format.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
There is a book out there '1966-1970 Ford Body and Interior Assy Manual' by Jim Osborn out of Atlanta. Its licensed by Ford and original drawings.

101 Ridgecrest Drive Lawrenceville GA 30045 770-962-7556
www.osbourn-reproduction.com

That being said, I bought it from either JBG or Tom's. Cant remember.

In the meantime, maybe these will help...

Attachments

• stediacompletebody-Copy-Copy.jpg
    stediacompletebody-Copy-Copy.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 96
  • stedialowerbody-Copy-Copy.jpg
    stedialowerbody-Copy-Copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
  • stediaupperbody-Copy-Copy.jpg
    stediaupperbody-Copy-Copy.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 83
  • tirdia-Copy-Copy.jpg
    tirdia-Copy-Copy.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 71
  • trmdia-Copy-Copy.jpg
    trmdia-Copy-Copy.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 65

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I thought about going that route, but in the end you would still have a steel tub. Instead i went with a kentrol glass body.

With the steel you would need some special spotwelding machines. Trust me you wouldnt want to plug weld all that stuff together!!!!!

broncojim2

Loc.
PLAIN CITY ,OHIO
I want a rest free steel tub not a glass one. Get tub assembly, prep for rust preventivness as I go . Use of adhesive and glue seam is a thought also , less welding .Weld thru primer used when spot welding .Pors15 under paint for bottom of tub and inside floors .ANY THING TO ELIMINATE REST IN THE FUTURE . ,, jUST A DREAM AT THE TIME .

C Saporito

The steel body parts that I've seen usually need some trimming or massaging to fit between the parts that are already there, starting from zero I could see body alignment being a nightmare. I went with a Bronco Designs body once I found all four door posts needed replacing. After purchasing lots of steel parts and seeing there really is no alignment reference on the steel, I wasn't going to invest the time and money to wind up with something that looked like crap. If you own a body shop your opinion might be different.

1967Bronco

+1 For the same money, a quality, completed fiberglass tub can be had. I'm not saying that it's better, as they both have plusses and minuses. My decision came down to the fact that I'll be driving it year round. I spoke to Mike last week, and right now, he's taking deposits for December.

i to have to have nothing but a frame so having to replace the whole tub. What are the pluses and minus of steel and glass? I would be driving mine up in Minnesota in the winter so im leaning toward the glass tub.