• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch Fan? Want to rid of the airplane noise! UPDATE ON POST #30!!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I have a stock 289, and it sound like a airplane! I want to make it much quieter. I think the fan is what is making all the noise? I did a few searches on hear going back like 10 years, but no deffanat answers as to what fan and clutch will fit? I saw alot of reference to a haydan clutch but part numbers were all over the board (2710, 2711, 2747, 2765, etc) Fan numbers were (hayden 3618, and flexalite 5718)

Is it the fan making all the noise? Would a clutch fan help any? What part numbers are a good fit without moving radiator?

Last edited:

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
I used the 2765 clutch and the 3618 fan on my stock 302. It fits with about 1/2" to spare to the stock radiator. I like the setup and its never given me problems and its never gotten close to eating the radiator when I'm all twisted up off road.

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
289 block and 302 block are identical with identical water pumps?

Are hayden parts found at napa or such local parts stores?

I'm pretty sure they are but I hope someone else chimes in. I think a 302 is just a stroked 289, even use the same pistons so I would say that the water pumps are the same. I got my parts at Kragen/ Oreillys. If I can remember right, they had to ship in the fan so I had to wait a day or two.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
289 and 302 use all the same components, only difference is crank and rods. the part numbers nik gave you are "HAYDEN" part numbers and o'reilly auto parts should be able to get them fro you. count on about $70 for the pair, and you'll have to get some 5/16" coarse bolts 3/4" long to bolt the blade to the clutch. then 5/16" by 1.25" long fine thread bolts to mount it to the water pump. that's the fun part!!!!

Attachments

• clutch1.JPG
    clutch1.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 294
  • clutch2.JPG
    clutch2.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Will the clutch fan eliminate all the noise? Maybe i should unbold my factory fan and see just how loud the motor is by itself?

I get alot of what i would call wind noise from the stock fan i believe?

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Will the clutch fan eliminate all the noise? Maybe i should unbold my factory fan and see just how loud the motor is by itself?

I get alot of what i would call wind noise from the stock fan i believe?

It will be noisy when you first start driving before the fluid moves and disengages the clutch, takes about 20 sec of driving to go away. After that I cant hear it when I'm driving. This fan is more aggressive than a factory fan so it moves more air even when moving slower. Should add that I have no overheating issues with it either.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Anybody else quiet up there motor by using a clutch type fan?

The 2765 clutch and the 3618 fan are oreallys parts and cost 70 bucks for both i did find out today.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i don't notice any noise from mine upon startup. the only time i've ever noticed noise from mine was when i was driving the bronco in borrego springs, and it was 108* outside and it was trying to cool my engine. but you'll also notice more upper end power and you'll notice less drag on the highway.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anybody else quiet up there motor by using a clutch type fan?

The 2765 clutch and the 3618 fan are oreallys parts and cost 70 bucks for both i did find out today.

I'm a huge fan of fan clutches.;D

They are usually connected to much more agressive fans than what you could stand using direct drive, but only move that much air, draw that much power, and make that much noise, when the clutch is hot/hotter. In other words, the fan is there when you need it and 'fades away' when you don't.

I'm running the fan and clutch off a '78 460 F-250 Camper Special in my '69..big HD stuff there, but its still quiet.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bmc69, Any clearance issues with yours??

No, but then my setup is not a good example either...a 408C and my radiator is moved forward ~1" to be hard up against the core support. Sorry..no help there.

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I have had one on mine since the day I put mine back together and have had no problem and I have a/c on mine.