• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wilwood slave leaking

yakelys69

Im using a wilwood master/slave (pull type) for my NV3550. Today at lunch I could no longer shift gears (clutch was not disengaging ). I checked the master fluid and it looked good, crawled under and I see that fluid is leaking from the boot around the rod. My first thought is that possibly a seal has gone out due to the proximity of the headers. Does anyone have any experience with this, are they rebuildable or do I need to order a new one?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Same thing happened to mine Kevin. Summit has a $14 rebuild kit w/ new O rings and fittings. I couldn't match up the O rings with the two SAE & metric kits I have so I got the rebuild kit and it's been good as new since. Quick and easy job.

OP
OP
yakelys69

yakelys69

Thanks John. Just got home and took it apart. Kills me that a sub penny part is going to cost me 15 + shipping and makes it difficult to drive. Hopefully I can find one elsewhere.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I didn't take that O ring into the parts store to have it matched up. Was ordering some stuff from summit anyway and just got the kit. I sure as hell didn't have anything that matched in my 2 cases of O rings (I tried and failed!). It's probably some oddball proprietary O ring... Good luck and let me know a part # if you find one local that works. Would be good info to have in the future or to just stockpile a couple of them!

OP
OP
yakelys69

yakelys69

Update: This only worked for 1 day. :-[

I used a parker size 2-110
3/8 I.D. 9/16 O.D. 3/32 C.S.
Actual Size 0.362 I.D. 0.103 C.S.

Looks to be a good fit, as of today its working without leaking.

This is what the materials read as so hopefully it lasts.

Materials
The standard materials supplied with
AS568 Kits and Metric Kits are nitrile
rubber compounds N1470-70 and
N1490-90. N1470-70 is compatible with
most petroleum-based oils, greases,
hydraulic fluids up to 121°C (250°F), as
well as water glycol hydraulic fluid up to
48°C (120°F). N1490-90 is normally
supplied for hydraulic fittings but also
suited for general purpose applications.
For more demanding sealing conditions,
Parker offers a wide variety of polymer
families including

I grabbed it out of a kit our maintenance guy had for other hydraulic machinery. Since it's only for the clutch I don't see testing it as a risk. Im still planning on ordering the kit as a backup. I didn't find the larger o-ring but I measured it something like a .63 .I.D. .890 O.D.

I went by Napa and O'reilly looking for the larger one and they both had what looked to be the same kit.

Last edited: