• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire carrier for Bailie Bilt bumper

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
Has anyone put a tire carrier on one of Bailie Bilt's bumpers?

I am thinking of getting a set of these but really want the tire carrier/cooler rack option. Wondering if anyone has made up their own rack for it?

I did speak with Gordon and sounds like he has something in the works but not sure when it would be ready.

Thanks

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Something in the works? Damn, I remember reading that a few year ago? Did Gordon say whether or not the bumper would support the tire rack combo? Gordon builds some great bumpers, so I am not knocking Gordon but I too wanted a rear bumper from Gordon and have been waiting a long time for something to come out. Good luck.

OP
OP

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, thats the issue. I hear it has been in the works for sometime now.

I really like the look of his front bumper and would like a matching set, but don't want to get a rear without a tire carrier.

Maybe I'll mix and match.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
IKf you were closer I would sell you my protofab plate bumpers with tire rack as I am not going to run a spare and want Gordon's bumpers on my rig.

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
I love my bailie Bilt bumpers Gordon says his tire rack will be bolt on I'm looking forward to this addition too

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Here are some ideas. Not stock but anyway.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334198095.053261.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334198095.053261.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 123
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334198209.122086.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334198209.122086.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 108
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334198239.897655.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334198239.897655.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 111

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
I added a protofab rear tire carrier and Jerry/cooler to my bailiebilt bumper. I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Bailiebilt Rear Bumper

Here's my rear bailiebilt bumper that I added a protofab tire carrier and jerry can/cooler rack to.....

Attachments

• Passenger.jpg
    Passenger.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 179
  • Latch.jpg
    Latch.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 190

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Bowhunter, man thats a pretty machine.
I talked to Gordon a couple of times about the tire carrier and he's made a few prototypes but not happy with them. I'm suer he'll come up with something that will match the quality of his bumpers.

I'm working on one that folds down so I dont have to lift the tire and wheel 5 feet in the air.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bowhunter ,
That looks like it was a pretty straight forward mod , was it really that simple ?

Sweet Bronco , what color is that anyway ? I'm going with something brighter but I've always liked those deep dark red/maroons.

bsquared

Contributor
I put some pics of mine at the bottom of this thread:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187524

I used Mark's latch method detailed on this thread: (video of it is halfway down on page 6)
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143886&page=7

Bowhunter, that is one nice setup! I like the adjustability with the Heim joints. My biggest worry was getting the spindle just right and vertical. I also struggled with my bump stop and latch because I didn't "angle out" along the trailing edge of the bumper like Mark did. If I was to do it again, I would angle out more to keep the bump stop away from the tailgate. It was tight but worked out okay. The drawing has a text box that explains where I got most of the materials to make it.

Make sure you have a welder that gets good penetration. My first try on the crappy Harbor Fright 90amp didn't do so good. Dropped the money for a decent Hobart and it did a much better job. Good luck!

Attachments

• TireRack2.jpg
    TireRack2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Bumper5.jpg
    Bumper5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 72
  • SwingFinished.jpg
    SwingFinished.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 74
  • SwingFull.jpg
    SwingFull.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 95
  • SwingOpen.jpg
    SwingOpen.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 77
  • SwingCatchLatches.jpg
    SwingCatchLatches.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 80

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Bowhunter ,
That looks like it was a pretty straight forward mod , was it really that simple ?

Sweet Bronco , what color is that anyway ? I'm going with something brighter but I've always liked those deep dark red/maroons.

It was pretty simple! The protofab kit has everything you need. As long as you are relatively handy and can weld....you'll have her licked.

The color is close to the stock toreador red that came on some ford trucks...but, is a custom color. Dark red metal flake or even maroon w flake. I love it.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ProtoFab!;D;),.....Just get the whole enchilada!!!

I thought the same thing at first , but I really like the look of the BB bumpers more than the Protofabs.
The differences are minor , BUT , I have a look in mind that I want to achieve ... ;D

Dave71

Loc.
Nomadic!
As was mentioned, just get a ProtoFab or a Hanson.

Better looking units IMO (I never did like look of the "license plate" cut out area on the BB, and you DO NOT have to cut the ends of your fame off! When I saw that when a friend brought a rear BB to me to install, all I could think was WTF, really?

I have always hated when I bought parts Broncos that had channel welded to the frame or the ends cut off and could not believe someone would design a product that required a permanent alteration of the frame like that.

I've installed all three brands of these on my rigs and friends. I much prefer the Hanson and ProtoFabs for fit and looks. The Hanson is probably my favorite overall, but they are also the most pricey.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Hansen was supposed to come out with a rear tire carrier for their bumper over a year ago. I called them several times and got nowhere. Sent several emails with no reply. Not impressed with their customer service (can you call it that when there was none?). Love the looks of the bumpers but ended up with Protofab. Great company! Highly recommend.

rtj731

As was mentioned, just get a ProtoFab or a Hanson.

Better looking units IMO (I never did like look of the "license plate" cut out area on the BB, and you DO NOT have to cut the ends of your fame off! When I saw that when a friend brought a rear BB to me to install, all I could think was WTF, really?

I have always hated when I bought parts Broncos that had channel welded to the frame or the ends cut off and could not believe someone would design a product that required a permanent alteration of the frame like that.

I've installed all three brands of these on my rigs and friends. I much prefer the Hanson and ProtoFabs for fit and looks. The Hanson is probably my favorite overall, but they are also the most pricey.

My front and rear BB were/are bolt ons, no frame or any other mods.