• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 transfercase questions

sixtyniner

1st question. Is there a difference between the dana 20 of a 69 and one from a 73 in regards to gear ratios? I thought 1st was lower in one of them.

2nd question. I'm all of a sudden getting a loud squeal from transfercase while rolling/moving in neutral and in drive....Is the rear seal of the rear output shaft on the T case known to do this over time????

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Loaded question. T shifter D20's have 2.46:1 low gears. J shifter D20's have 2.34:1 low gears. T's became J's in '73.

I've never heard a tcase squeal.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
There might be a gear ratio difference (only in low range) but it's to minimal to result in any noticeable diffidence.

Drive train noises can be tricky just wondering how you know it's the tcase? The rear seal is not known to do this at all. I'm always suspect of rear driveshafts. Easy test take the rear shaft out and drive around the block in front wheel drive.

OP
OP
S

sixtyniner

There might be a gear ratio difference (only in low range) but it's to minimal to result in any noticeable diffidence.

Drive train noises can be tricky just wondering how you know it's the tcase? The rear seal is not known to do this at all. I'm always suspect of rear driveshafts. Easy test take the rear shaft out and drive around the block in front wheel drive.

I drove down the street (SLOWLY) with my head hanging under my ride. Sound clearly is coming from that area. I squirt water on it and it goes away for a short time. This all occured after not driving it for a year to driving it in a very dusty trail ride. So was thinking the rear seal....Sprayed wd40 on just the seal area last night and it didnt help.....Now thinking driveshaft U-joints...........I'll start there. Thank you.

OP
OP
S

sixtyniner

Loaded question. T shifter D20's have 2.46:1 low gears. J shifter D20's have 2.34:1 low gears. T's became J's in '73.

I've never heard a tcase squeal.

Is it possible that some broncos issued in 73 still had the T shifters?