• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Bushings! HOW THE CRAP... (Update: need more washers!))

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I've read every thread and tech article, but these things SUCK!

Got the two out in the floorpans
Got out one of the rear ones
haven't tried the front yet.

I have a sawzall. I have fire. But.....

How do you deal with the ones behind the front seast?!?!

I've PB blasted them for days. Nothing. Won't budge.

How do you get to them to cut them out? Or what? I can't even see a way to get at them from underneath.

Does anyone have a step by step with drawings, or photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one is?

I'm a "Bronco Guru" now, and I feel like an idiot.

jim

Last edited:

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I just had to extract one of the ones behind the drivers seat, it was busted off clean at the floor.

I lifted the body about 3 inches and used heat and vice grips to get it out. I had to heat the nut in the bracket right on top of the frame to get it out, back and forth and little by little it came out.

It sucked but I now have my body lift blocks in place, still need to get the right size bolts.

Good luck.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I've read every thread and tech article, but these things SUCK!

Got the two out in the floorpans
Got out one of the rear ones
haven't tried the front yet.

I have a sawzall. I have fire. But.....

How do you deal with the ones behind the front seast?!?!

I've PB blasted them for days. Nothing. Won't budge.

How do you get to them to cut them out? Or what? I can't even see a way to get at them from underneath.

Does anyone have a step by step with drawings, or photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one is?

I'm a "Bronco Guru" now, and I feel like an idiot.

jim

Hey, I've never done this (yet), so take this for what its worth, but I read a thread on here (?couple months ago?) that said use an air hammer/chisel to bust it up. Try searching and you may find an answer.

basswipe

For the sawzall use a wood blade for the rubber, use a metal blade for the center part past the rubber, it should cut in half

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I lifted the body about 3 inches and used heat and vice grips to get it out. I had to heat the nut in the bracket right on top of the frame to get it out, back and forth and little by little it came out.

Good luck.

I wish I could lift the body 3 inches, then I might be able to get at it.

I can't even see a way to get near it with the sawzall.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just did this last weekend, no pics but I cut the bolt heads off with a torch, you have to be very careful or you will burn through the floor, and you may set the bushings on fire, we did, remember the gas line may be close, have somebody standing by with a water bottle to put the fire out. Jack the body up enough to clear the bolt, After that I took a air hammer with a wide blade chisel between the frame and mount and after a few seconds to a minute it came flying out the front. I had to cut all 8, all were rusted. Good luck.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I wish I could lift the body 3 inches, then I might be able to get at it.

I can't even see a way to get near it with the sawzall.

They sell pretty long sawzall blades,,, that will help. and you have to hold it at an awkward angle, and swear a lot.
Yup, I consider replacing body mounts as a right of passage into Bronco Brotherhood. They can be a bitch.

backpain

Bronco Guru
For the tight ones I used a Porter/Cable Tiger? adjustable pivot/tilt head recip saw. I also had success with . . . I'll have to go look . . . I think Milwaukee or Porter's "Iron" blades (probably targeted at cutting plumbing pipes) in various lengths. I burned through a bunch of different blades before I found those. If you really want details - PM me and I'll go to the garage and check it out.

WSM29

Grind off the head the bolt from the inside of the truck, that'll give you room to lift the body and fish it all out

x2!! This works great! I cut the bolt in half with a looong sawzall blade ( it was bending to get in there, but it still cut... with the body raised up you can have room to work it out. I think I either burnt or cut the rubber out. Keep at it, it will come!

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
X2 on grinding the head off if you can't free the bolt. Once you jack up the body you can get it out.

remember to drill out the mushroomed flange of the bushing. on the ones behind the seat you can do this from the top side. I believe it's a half inch drill? once you've drilled through and weakened the mushroomed edge, a hammer and chisel will sent it flying out. Good luck, they are a certainly a pain.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Sawzall with lots of lubrication. I had to come in at an angle from the back side. I ended ip making a small cut in the mount, but nothing significant. What made it easier was to cut the rubber first and then pull it out with vice grips. Good luck!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The good thing is the two behind the seats don't have the metal sleeve nut attached to the body like the other six do. If you can break the bolt or grind off the head, you'll be home free!

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I think I might have a grinder. I'll have to dig, but I might have one. If so, I have high expectations for success tomorrow. If not, I have high expectations for beer tomorrow!

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I just broke out the big breaking bar. The ones that broke free, great, the ones that broke off were fine too. The ones that broke off I jacked up the truck a little and was able to get the sawzall under there. As was earlier mentioned it was easier to cut the bushings out first. They are going to smoke like crazy with that Sawzall blade.

jdevon

Loc.
Dallas Area
Sawzall and vice grips. Had 'em all out with in hour and half with help from my brother. On the ones without the sleeve, you can use an old crappy wood chisel if the sawzall can't reach.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I think I used ever cutting tool/punch/hammers that I own to get all mine out.Thing was with mine the ones in the floorpans were the ones that gave me the most trouble.The one at the platform came out pretty easy.I guess I got lucky there.Don't forget to cover the hole at that area when you go to put them back..or you'll loose your nut;):p

jdevon

Loc.
Dallas Area
I think I used ever cutting tool/punch/hammers that I own to get all mine out.Thing was with mine the ones in the floorpans were the ones that gave me the most trouble.The one at the platform came out pretty easy.I guess I got lucky there.Don't forget to cover the hole at that area when you go to put them back..or you'll loose your nut;):p

Yeah, we lost a nut in to the frame!