• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Caster are you running in your EB?

How much caster are you running in your EB?

• Total voters

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Just curious about how much Caster you are running in your EB, and what's your setup. ie lift, tire size, Power Steering, type of steering box, etc. Also are you happy with the handling?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
2-1/2" lift, drop track bar bracket, ureathane track bar bushings with stock track bar, 4 Degree ureathane C bushings and ureathane strut bushings, 1/4" toe in on 12.50 X 15 X 33" tires running 30 PSI BFG Mud Terrian. one hand on the wheel at 70MPH Caster measures 4 degrees with magnetic protractor under lower ball joint. factory origional tie rod and drag link.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am at 3.5 degrees with a 4" lift and 7 degree bushings. I would prefer more for a better return to center of the steering wheel, but that is the max bushing.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
2-1/2" lift, drop track bar bracket, ureathane track bar bushings with stock track bar, 4 Degree ureathane C bushings and ureathane strut bushings, 1/4" toe in on 12.50 X 15 X 33" tires running 30 PSI BFG Mud Terrian. one hand on the wheel at 70MPH Caster measures 4 degrees with magnetic protractor under lower ball joint. factory origional tie rod and drag link.

4* is right in the spec for an EB. Can you think of any downside, other than pinion angle to running slightly more? Like a little over 5* ? I have a '76 and with PS and a quick turn box, I am thinking that It may be OK.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
My experience with lifted 4x4's with tires over 33" is that you want to have more caster than is recommended for a car.

I like to keep mine in the 6-8* range to make it drive better. I'm shooting for ~7* caster with my knuckle turning exercise.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I turned my knuckles back 10 degrees and am running 2 degree bushings. Handles great with 35" tires and 4" suspension lift.
I haven't had the castor checked after the mod but I think I'm in the 5 to 6 degree range.
I'm very happy with the results.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
4.5" springs with custom long arms running around 4 degrees with 37x14.50 MTs. I need better return to center- therevis a little wander when driving straight. With the long arms, it appears the PO used stock C-bushings, but I need to check and see if I can add 2-3 degrees more.

Todd

73bronco

Running 7° in mine. Long arms with bushings installed backward to rotate the pinion up for driveshaft angles then I cut and rotated my "C"'s to get the caster I want. Returned to center nicely and tracks very well, even on bias iroks.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I think you guys have just convinced me to go with the 7* bushings.

I'm at -1.7* Caster now, so that will put me approx...+5.3* positive assuming the current PO installed Rubber bushings are 0*. If the pinion angle looks OK, I may be good to go...

Thanks everybody!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I gotta see where my caster is at because my Bronco definitely wanders a bit.
Would love to get rid of that for sure. Driving it currently is definitely a two hand job and the return to center is basically nonexistant. :cry:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm in the nagatives :p

It works great on the trail for front digs though, the tire turns into the ground a little bit and bites in. I can still do ~50mph on the street too!