• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seriously confused on PS set ups

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Ok I am going to ask for some forgiveness here as I am completely new to working on this bronco I just purchased and all the threads I have been able to pull up just confuses the crap out of me about 4x4x2 or required changing of worm gears.

I have a 75 with a 93 5.0 motor conversion lifted 4'' suspension and 2'' body with the original PS gear box. I had it in for a new set of tires and a front end alignment and it needed a new tie rod and the guy said the gear box has a lot of slack causing most of my issues.

My question is, I keep reading that a f150 gear box will work but from what year model?

Does it have to be from a 2wd or 4x4?

Can I pick one up at the local napa, auto zone, etc... and just bolt it on (after drilling the two new holes) or does it require additional modification?

I see where BC broncos sells them but he is currently out and won't have any in for a few weeks. I am trying to it out of the shop before then.

Thanks and if there is a thread already dedicated to this and I just missed it could you please post a link in a reply :)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Bc broncos has info in there Tech section but basically You need the 78/79 4wd F150/ big bronco box do start the conversion. Then you also need a ford 2wd box to swap the guts out with. Plus you'll probably need a new ujoint to connect the new box to your current steering shaft.

You may be able to get a 4x4x2 box from a local parts store but they may want your core first as they tend to rebuild the core and give it back to you. At very least you'll also have a core charge. And then you'll still need to get a 2wd bx and swap stuff around.
the better bet is to find a junkyard 4x4x2 box as it will be much cheaper.

For what its worth I'd just get your stock box rebuilt. the 4x4x2 box is really for those that either dont have power steering or are intending to wheel hard with large tires and just need a beefier box.

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Ok now it makes more sense, the ones BC broncos are selling are the ones that all "guts" have been changed out and just need to be bolted on (or so he told me on the phone). I think for what I am going to be doing I will just have mine rebuilt or find a replacement.

Thank you for the clarification, this forum just gets better and better!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I too would say just have your stock box rebuilt. West Texas Offroad, PSC Motorsports, and Lee's Power Steering all offer rebuild services. Google any of them and you'll get contact info.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Bronco's tend to have a lot of steering issues. I'd make sure your steering box is worn before replacing it. There are lots of areas that will cause steering slop. What state are you in? Chances are there is someone from here, local to you, that can help you out to track down exactly what the issue is. The steering box will be the most expensive. I'd make sure everything else is good first. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
I am currently in Hondo Texas, just a little west of San Antonio. Currently the bronco is at a front end shop that deals with off road and older model vehicles. I had it in there for just tires and a front end alignment and the mechanic said he couldn't get it aligned due to the slop in the box.

Toddml

West Coast Broncos has a great write up on the conversion.

http://www.wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml

If hardcore crawling and wheelin is not in your future, then either yours rebuilt or one of the new (rebuilt) 3:1 ratio boxes would work great. The one BCB sells requires you to do some drilling etc to get it to fit. Great box, but not exactly a bolt in.

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Thanks for the info, I am going to just have mine rebuilt as I am only running 35's and will mainly be doing highway driving with some Right-Of-Way driving.

I guess if I ever want to beef up the box I will do the conversion. As my biker buddies always say "Custom doesn't mean bolt on"

Toddml

Yea, and if you finish workin on your Bronco then what do you do. People ask me when I will be finished. I say never there is always another upgrade out there!!:)

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Yea, and if you finish workin on your Bronco then what do you do. People ask me when I will be finished. I say never there is always another upgrade out there!!:)

You have a point there, my only problem is my 9' long chopper is the same way and if you think bronco parts are expensive, have custom chopper parts machined for you........

Hey as I said in my intro post, I live the American way, in Debt!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
In my opinion the stock box is O.K. for up to 35s if you are going to mostly drove on road. As you indicated. But bigger tires and/or harder use and you should upgrade to the 4x4x2 box and a frame reinforcement kit. BTY, the 4x4x2 box is easy to do yourself. The only hard part is finding the 4x4 box. My site tells you what years are good doners. I use west texas off road for rebuilds.
Also, you might get a 2ed opinion on your box.

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Chuck, do you have any in stock of the OEM gears box? I know I was in there the other day and put my name on the list for the f150 but I have been down with a trans rebuild for almost two months. I am ready to just get it back on the road and with the driving I am going to really be doing I think I might just hold off until I really need it. If so I can run up there and pick it up on Monday.

Broncmeister

In my opinion the stock box is O.K. for up to 35s if you are going to mostly drove on road. As you indicated. But bigger tires and/or harder use and you should upgrade to the 4x4x2 box and a frame reinforcement kit. BTY, the 4x4x2 box is easy to do yourself. The only hard part is finding the 4x4 box. My site tells you what years are good doners. I use west texas off road for rebuilds.
Also, you might get a 2ed opinion on your box.

I agree, the stock box is good enough unless you are really into some serious offroading. I'd recommend a PS pump upgrade to a saginaw as well as the box rebuild. The original bronco pumps cannot handle the larger rubber setups very well.

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
I agree, the stock box is good enough unless you are really into some serious offroading. I'd recommend a PS pump upgrade to a saginaw as well as the box rebuild. The original bronco pumps cannot handle the larger rubber setups very well.

I actually have the stock ford mustang pump that came with the 93 5.0 motor. This should be sufficient shouldn't it?

Broncmeister

honestly I don't know, I've never owned one. The thing is that with the larger tires like 33's and 35's etc, the pump has to be strong enough to push that rubber from side to side. If the mustang pump was only designed to move the original sized tires on the stang and not much more then you might be in trouble, I just don't know to be honest. I do know that the saginaw I got from NAPA was not very expensive, and has absolutely no trouble moving my 33's, hasn't groaned even once no matter how hard I work it. I'm bumping up to 35's at the end of the month and don't anticipate any trouble either. At the very worst you could have your box rebuilt and reinstall and see how the box works, and see how well the pump can keep up. If after after a while the pump gives out you'll know an upgrade is in order.

OP
OP
T

tlb017

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Yeah I honestly didn't think about that, they wouldn't have put oversized tires on a mustang so they wouldn't need a strong pump. Yup this thing is turning into my chopper, the more I read and learn the more money I put out, hahaha.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Chuck, do you have any in stock of the OEM gears box? I know I was in there the other day and put my name on the list for the f150 but I have been down with a trans rebuild for almost two months. I am ready to just get it back on the road and with the driving I am going to really be doing I think I might just hold off until I really need it. If so I can run up there and pick it up on Monday.

Yes I do.
PS, the mustang pumps tend to whine.