• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body panel alignment

Casey835

Does anybody have any heplful tips or advice on alignment of the bolt on front fenders, doors, grill, hood, etc.

As im already finding out, the SS Drake hinges are pretty tricky on aligning the doors. I get the top right and the back bottom of door is way in, almost wondering if door could be tweaked. The front and bottom gaps are wide also. I dont see how that could be changed. Its been a while since ive seen it put together so it could be typical, just dont remember.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
This can be pretty tricky depending on alot of things. I think the most important being that your body mount bushings are in good condition. Especially the mounts near the radiator core. The metal they are mounted to tends to rust through and create a sag.

There is no magic cure, other than maybe shimming, but you are just putting a band aid on the problem. So I would start by taking a look at your body mount bushings. If these are ok, then move on to your door posts. Any major rust issues? Look for any play when the door is open by gently lifting the door to see if your posts are "squishy". If they are, maybe in need of replacement.

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Take your time and think it through. I see professionals fight with alignment on new cars. The tub on a Bronco is very flexible, and tolrences were not that big of a priority when they were built. Like 71massbronco said the place to start is with the body bushings. That is provided your frame is good and square. Aligning the fender and grille shoukd be pretty straight forward. In fact all of the front sheetmetal shoud be. It will depend on what you're mounting them to. On the doors take the striker out...align the door to the opening. The striker is only meant to keep the door closed. Now if its perfection you're looking for be prepared for some shimming including making your own shimms. Welding and grinding like taking away and adding to the edges of your doors. Cutting the mounting flanges from the fenders and relocating. Lots of persuading of metal with hammer and dolly, slotting holes etc, etc.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I 2nd the body bushings and check your door opennings for square. You may also think about using shims.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The only real adjustment of the body line in a Bronco is the body mounts and the doors. The front fenders bolt on with no real adjustment, yes you can add a washer or two but you can't really 'shim' them like a sedan.

You can adjust the door gap with large washers under the body mounts after that you simply align the door the best you can with the 'floating' plate behind the door hinge. I have used a BFH and 'pushed' hinge plates in slightly and I've also used thin washers behind hinge plates to space them out.

I've aligned doors in a couple of hours and I've also spend several days getting body lines correct. Some rigs just don't line up aswell as others...

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to machine the hinge face to give me the clearance/gap fore and aft. I don't need much. I just replaced the rockers and will have to add to the drivers door to get gap where I want it.the rockers are lined up so that is the only choice I have. Rockers were nos. Like they said tolerances were not great from factory