• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What headers for 4R70W?

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I have a fitment issue with the longtube headers I have.

I realize shorties would probably solve the issue but will longtubes work? And if so which ones?

The passenger side is hitting the bellhousing and the frame rail.
I am going to try heating the passenger side one up and bending it into place.

The drivers side seems to have plenty of room.

BRONCOexhaust036.jpg

BRONCOexhaust038.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ran Duff's with a 351/4R70W for a little while. The collector was uncomfortably close to the trans pan. So close that the collector had to be indexed to clear.

My fix was a set of 289 K-code manifolds that were opened up to breath even better. Worked with the 351, not sure if they will clear a short deck 302

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I am using BC Broncos headers with my 5.0 / 4R70W.

On the passenger side the headers hit an ear that protrudes from the bell housing flange.

I cut it off with hack saw and all is well.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

On the passenger side the headers hit an ear that protrudes from the bell housing flange.

Except for the dipstick tube.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I had test fit these headers while the engine and trans were bolted together out of the bronco and they fit much better than this. I cut that tab off the trans at that time.

And they cleared the frame rail on the other engine I had in the bronco, the headers came on the engine that came in the bronco when I bought it. So I am a little confused why they now don't fit in the Bronco.

I put a 99 mountaineer motor in so I also have the GT-40 P heads, so that makes for a tight fit on two plugs on each side. I found a set of BBK shorty headers for sale locally, might pick those up and try them.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan

Those headers are expensive. Almost $600 for headers is not what I plan on spending.

Last edited:

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I am running the Heddman headers that are ceramic coated. I had to trim the flange on the passenger side for them to fit between the frame and the pan. I have about 1/3" between the pan and the collector flange. THe distance between the frame rail is hte same as before when I was running my c4. Very tight fit but it went.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Just got in from adjusting the passenger side header, got it pretty much where I need it, about 1/2-3/4" off the trans and about 1/4-1/2" off the frame.

Then I notice the drivers side is in the way of the front driveshaft.

Not sure why it is that much different going from a stock 3 speed and dana 20 to 4R70W and 205.

I saw a nice setup using shorties and a crossover tube and going two into one out the passenger side. Seems this will be the cleanest routing without the exhaust hanging low.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
This setup looks just like BC Broncos 2 into 1 setup, that is what i ordered and picked up a set of BBK #1515 shorty headers today. Hope to have it all in by next weekend. I want to run cats but that will have to wait for now.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Found a set of shortie headers on craigslist and went and got them yesterday, they are BBK #1515.

Well they don't quite fit. The drivers side should be fine but the passenger side dumps right on top of the frame rail.

So, I just ordered the BC headers to go with the 2 into 1 exhaust kit I ordered yesterday. They are a bit more than I wanted to spend but I am getting anxious and want to start driving my Bronco again.

I though about cutting and reworking the passenger side header but don't feel like taking the chance that it won't be as easy as I think it would be. I am itching to drive it.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I wonder if I can expect top have this same issue running long tubes with a '89 302 and the 4R w/ 205???

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I wonder if I can expect top have this same issue running long tubes with a '89 302 and the 4R w/ 205???

Well there is no room between the 205 and the drivers side frame rail so the exhaust either has to go under the 205 or on the passenger side.

I wanted maximum ground clearance so I want the exhaust tucked up close to the body as possible. The 205 does hang down a bit below the frame rails though. I might make a skid plate for it.

Got got done making the mount for the 205.

phone69006.jpg

phone69007.jpg

phone69009.jpg

phone69012.jpg

Last edited:

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Super NICE mount!!! I have a pretty custom true dual exhaust. Maybe a 205 is not in my future since I am not certain I am willing to sacrifice the exhaust. :(

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Super NICE mount!!! I have a pretty custom true dual exhaust. Maybe a 205 is not in my future since I am not certain I am willing to sacrifice the exhaust. :(

You can run both down the passenger side just where the transfer case is and run it out the back after that.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Unfortunately for me, I am running a 4-link and ended up using 180 degree bends to take the exhaust over the top of the frame rail and run down the side just behind the rockers then exit just in front of the rear tires. It will be impossible to double that up on one side. BUMMED!

Plus, if BlazinChuck hear I was going to hack his supreme exhaust work, I think he would have me shot!!!

Keep the pics coming. I'm interested to see how it all comes together for you.