• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle bearing questions

jasonv

Hi,

So I pulled my rear axles out and have a few questions. First replacement bearings. The O'Rileys store nearby had what they said are the right bearings. The dimensions on the bearings look good but the retaining rings are smaller, ID look right OD is less. Wrong part?

Next is beating removal. Is that done with the press also? I hope to have somebody with a press put the new ones on but need to make those calls tomorrow. I didn't know if there was a garage method I should bother trying if I'm going shop press route

Third is seals. Do I replace them since I am there? I see mixed reviews about new ones leaking when the old ones didn't.

Thanks,
Jason

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I just did this last week. After doing the axle U joints with a clamp, I decide to have a shop do the work

I called a few auto parts stores and found they charged $25 per side to remove and install the bearings. One place had the bearings and seals so I had them do it. It cost more than I was planning but I saved a lot of work.

I would think about doing the seals and the fluid. You have the hard part done.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
there are two different size bearings for the rearend.

Are you sure you need new bearings? unless they went dry they should last a very long time. If there rusted or pitted then replace but if you wipe them down with some gas and there looking nice and shinny then reuse them.

And if your doing bearings then do seals for sure! No way a new seal should leak. Make sure you oil it up before sliding the axles in.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
removal is done with a press or some people use a grinder to grind most of the way through the retaining ring and bearing then use a chisel to crack the ring and allow removal. But for what its worth if you know someone with a press just have them remove the old bearing. Also some people will install the new bearings with a lenght of pipe and a hammer.

Wouldnt worry much about the retaining ring size. there are a few different ones out there but all do the same thing might just depend on whos making them as to what size they came up with.
If you dont know how many miles are on the bearings its a good idea to replace them. Yes they can last a long time or they can fail next week it can be hard to tell. I usually get over 50K out of a set of bearings. Ditto on the seal replacement they are cheap and the old one is well old. there are some tricks to help keep the new seal from leaking. most usually coated the outer shell with a little RTV before installing so the RTV will help seal any imperefctions in the axle housing.

OP
OP
J

jasonv

I'm replacing them because they are making ugly noises (I think). I actually didn't do my homework before I pulled them out and then figured out they are pressed on. The one I thought was making noise is kind of rough so hopefully I'm on track. It's possible they are original. I don't remember pulling them with my dad as a kid but he could have. Either way they have 100k miles or have been sitting for 15 years.

Thanks for all the info. I'll see if I can dig up a press tomorrow

Jason

OP
OP
J

jasonv

Well I found a transmission and axle shop in town with a great reputation. $25/axle and they are shiny and new. Now I just need to figure how to remove the old seals and put the new ones in....

Jason

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
When you put this back together, be careful not to damage the new seals by dragging the axles over them. Gently guide them in without touching the axle to the seal, until you get the axle ready to seat.

OP
OP
J

jasonv

Thanks garbez, good tip.

They went together nicely but I broke one of the $%#*! retaining plate bolts!!!! You know the four T-headed bolts. The guys at the auto parts store just laughed at me and suggested I go to the junk yard. Anybody know if they are available from anywhere? Is it safe to drive with 3 of them on one side?

Thanks,
Jason

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Currie sells new and refurbished t-bolts as do many of the Bronco houses. They're the same as almost all of the 70's F150/E150 Ford 9" applications, so a wrecking yard would be out of the question either, at least not where I am.

JusticeJMB

Loc.
Sacramento

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Alright Jason, how did the fix go? I have a grinding sound from the back passenger wheel from my 76 bronco. Is all working, noise? Leaks?

OP
OP
J

jasonv

working great. it wasn't much trouble at all. I took them to a shop to have the bearings pressed on. Only other issue was getting the old seals out but a buddy made me a slide hammer with a custom hook.

Truck has been sitting while I burned the last bit of miles on a leased F150. Thought I had a leak but turned out to just be the brakes :)

Jason

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can use the splined end of axle shaft to catch the seal at a slight angle and pull it out.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Sorry to jump on here at the end but can any 1 tell me the length of that right (pass. side) rear ford 9" axle?
Thanks...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
66-75 (small brg,small brk) (28 spline) 1 3/4" brake r.h..29.62"
66-75 (small brg,small brk) (28 spline) 1 3/4" brake l.h..27.25"

66-75 (large brg,large brk) (28 spline) 1 3/4" brake r.h..29.31"
66-75 (large brg,large brk) (28 spline) 1 3/4" brake l.h..26.94"

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
tanks (w/o guns) Viper, all ways there when needed!
didn't realize there were different lengths (the .62 and .31) over de yrs.....
gotta go post this over on FTE site (de bronk forum'a course) 4 a guy.

MadiG right around the corner, le de bonto roule` !!!

now back 2 ur regularly scheduled program