• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 fuel gauge selector switch

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
I need some help. When we bought the bronco the fuel gauge selector switch was hanging under the dash. Does it go under the dash ? On a bracket or where does it actually go. The tank selector is original and mounted ok but the gauge switch was just hanging.
Thanks
Rich

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Are you referring to the toggle switch?

That goes in the dash all the way to the left. look for a round hole. Should have a nut that threads onto the back of it to keep it in place

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If there's no hole, the dash may have been swapped from a vehicle with only one tank, or the second tank was added later by a PO and the switch was never made permanent.
Easy enough to fix though.

Or if there's a manual choke or hand throttle knob in that position, someone may have added them. They were factory options too, but the combination of them could have been changed.

Paul

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
thanks everyone, i just ordered the little switch bezel for it from toms. so hopefully will get it mounted and going.

1971Bronco1971

Loc.
Boston
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the switch? I didn't have a aux. Tank in mine when i bought it, but the fill neck was there. I am thinking it didn't originally come with the aux one because there is no switch. I bought a switch and want to wire it in but not posative how it should be wired

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are drawings hereabouts somewhere. Been posted up in the last few weeks the last time I think.
Basically though, the center terminal goes to the gauge, and the outer ones go to either tank. The one "opposite" the angle of the toggle is the contact. So if your AUX tank is with the switch flipped to the right, then the contact on the left is the one.

There are also two distinct rows of contacts, for a total of six. You only need three, and the correct way is to put all wires inline. You'll see what I mean when you look at the back of the switch.
This could be for other reasons, but it also allows you to run not only the gauge on one string of contacts, but run an electric switching valve or relay on the other string.

Paul