• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ball Joint Install w/ Press

kiteoregon

I picked up a harbor freight ball joint press, it sure made removal easy. Now i am installing the first ball joint, i have it pressed in as far as it will go. The impact would not turn it and a 3 foot breaker bar could not turn it any more, however it's not all the way in. These new ball joints have a c-clip on the bottom and i can just barely see the slot for the clip but there is no way the clip would fit. I need it to go just a 1 or 2 mm more so that the clip will fit. Any ideas how to get that last little bit? All 240 pounds of me and a 3 foot breaker bar with a cheater can't move it any more. It is possible that these old knuckles are deeper then usual? This is on a 75 ish EB Dana 44.

Thanks KO.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Mine wouldn't seat enough to install the clips, so I left them off. I bought brand new Spicer Ball Joints from BC Broncos. The ones I took off didn't have clips, so I didn't think it was an issue.

Last edited:

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
what brand ball joints did u get? the cheeepy vato-zone brands cut corners in dimensions to save $$- u might have to go old school-Dana parts for a Dana axle-I know it sounds weird.. I have also had good luck with Moog parts.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Unless you have one of these. I put them in the mill and took off about .120 so the slot would show. I have had others say it's no big deal but there is something that bugs me about relying on friction to hold the front axles on. If it's put to hard use (abuse) I would worry about it dropping out. Of course it can't fall all the way out but it can come loose.

Attachments

• Lower Ball Joint.jpg
    Lower Ball Joint.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
K

kiteoregon

Jim3326, i am more in your camp, i wish i had a mill to take them down evenly. I my just find a local machine shop and take them down just a bit. I don't remember the brand, but the ball joints came from JBG so they should be ok.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine wouldn't seat enough to install the clips, so I left them off. I bought brand new Spicer Ball Joints from BC Broncos. The ones I took off didn't have clips, so I didn't think it was an issue.

It generally isn't a big issue..as long as you stay on pavement.

Off road..I've seen them shear off the end, groove, clip and all, as they decided to leave the knuckle..:eek:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Without the clip the only way that lower ball joint can come out is if the upper ball joint fails (breaks or nut comes off) and the weight is completely unloaded from the axle. Then at that point the wheel would have to move down (without the axle) with enough force to overcome the friction of the joint.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then at that point the wheel would have to move down (without the axle) with enough force to overcome the friction of the joint.

Yup..that's how the wheel -plus-knuckle comes off all right, but the upper ball joint does not have to fail..it simply comes out too. And I can tell how much fun it is (not) to get the mess to go back together on the trail..in rocks..and mud..%)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The upper ball joint should have a retaining ring keeping it in.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The upper ball joint should have a retaining ring keeping it in.

I agree..they should have. I often wondered why they didn't.

Guess somebody figured one was enough and that it was easier to put that one on the lower one.

I've noted the presence of a clip groove in some original upper joints but never a clip ever installed and I've torn down more 44s than I want to count.

Moog completely dropped the groove in their upper ball joint years ago..tapered the end a bit instead

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Ball-Joint-Moog_20517344-P_85_R%7CGRPCHASAMS_____

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Jim3326, i am more in your camp, i wish i had a mill to take them down evenly. I my just find a local machine shop and take them down just a bit. I don't remember the brand, but the ball joints came from JBG so they should be ok.

If it's only lacking a small amount, you could use a grinder to dust it off a bit instead of paying high dollar to have it machined .010. Mine was rounded on the bottom like it came out of the mold and had never been milled.

Jim W.

VT_Don

I installed new Moog joints a few weeks ago. What I noted that concerned me was the depth the upper ball joint sleeves installed to. Sleeves are about 1/2" below flush. Not the optium thread engagement I'd like to see. Any option for oversize sleeves?

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I installed new Moog joints a few weeks ago. What I noted that concerned me was the depth the upper ball joint sleeves installed to. Sleeves are about 1/2" below flush. Not the optium thread engagement I'd like to see. Any option for oversize sleeves?

Are you talking 1/2" below the top (ok) or 1/2" below the bottom of the top mount (thread sticking out, not ok)? It should be sticking out the bottom 2-3 threads, below the top doesn't matter that much.

Jim W.

aklb43

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but my sleeve on my top ball joint decided to go so far down into the yoke I couldn't tighten it with the spanner socket anymore and I was lucky to get it back out. I did tighten the lower joint to 70lbs. I have the Moog joints k8195t and k81914t on an axle that came off a 1976 ranger. I compared the old sleeves with the new Moog sleeves and the old one look slightly thicker. I didn't want to install the old sleeves on the new ball joints cause I'm afraid the taper wouldn't match up correctly. Argh.

aklb43

OK, I spoke to soon. Read some other threads and it looks like Napa has the correct sleeves for a few bucks. Phew, sweat off my back.