• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 input snap ring

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
Finishing up my a Dana 20 rebuild. The input shaft gear retainer snap ring wasn't included in the kit. I'm wondering if folks generally bend these back into shape and reuse or is there a suggested source. I bent it back to what I thought would work but it's got a little more clearance to the groove than I would like.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just installed an Advance Adapters NV3550 kit. It didn't come with that snap ring. I was tempted to use the old one but it just didn't have enough tension left and made me uncomfortable to use it. I took the old one to the part store and they had a good selection to pick from.

OP
OP
Dbarnes72

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
I just installed an Advance Adapters NV3550 kit. It didn't come with that snap ring. I was tempted to use the old one but it just didn't have enough tension left and made me uncomfortable to use it. I took the old one to the part store and they had a good selection to pick from.

Probably good advice. I tried NAPA and was treated to 5 minutes of catalog fumbling and then Nope! for the ring and a locknut. Guess I'll head to Ace Hardware and give it a whirl. I've had NAPA send me there before after they give up. Frustrating. Thanks for the input

VT_Don

The retaining rings used in transmissions are often a unique thickness. If not included in kits, looking at bulk purchase from distributors.
I don't understand why automotive is different as every other industry has adopted ANSI std profiles. I'm often stuck getting commerically available rings, then surface grinding them to fit.

gorf

No. That is the bearing retainer snap ring, not the gear snap ring.

thanks for the quick reply. i too am trying to locate the snap ring without much success. does anyone know a dependable source or could give me the measurements to have a better conversations with the transmission part companies in my area (45044). i broke the ring when removing it and most stores are unwilling to help. thanks again.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The retaining rings used in transmissions are often a unique thickness. If not included in kits, looking at bulk purchase from distributors.
I don't understand why automotive is different as every other industry has adopted ANSI std profiles. I'm often stuck getting commerically available rings, then surface grinding them to fit.

This is correct. That ring is thicker than those you will find at hardware stores. Best practice is to not bend them up too bad in the first place. A little bending you can straighten out.

707Bronk

The D-20 input C-clip and the C-clip on the Front Output shaft (T-shift) are two that I couldn't find direct OE replacements for.

I can't tell you how much time I wasted pouring over parts bins looking for a good replacement. I finally found full circle clips for each that fit, but it took WAY longer than it should have.

The one on my input gear wasn't bad, probably could have re-used it. But the one on the front output shaft was toast.

Someone has to know where to find these...

gorf

I ordered the ring from jbg. They suggested its a better design than original (c vs circle). Are there any specific fitment issues i should look out for?

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I would be concerned that their snap ring is the same thickness as the original c clip. When you get it let us know how it compares to the original.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
What is the diameter of the snap ring? I have one laying around but I am not sure which one it is. This one is about 3- 5/16" outside diameter 3" inside diameter. Not sure if its the one you need or not, let me know.

bobscott

I found one the same thickness at either fastenal or grainger can't remember which.

gorf

I went with the crown small parts kit. nothing else I found worked.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Not too difficult, You'll need a dial indicator w/magnetic base and either a toaster oven or press for bearings.
Piece o' cake.