• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best 351W EFI Lower Intake

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I just picked up a 351 roller so the search is on for the best EFI lower intake. I'm planning to build a stroker but not sure yet what magnatude. Looking for suggestions on the lower intake and where to buy.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
f150 lightning lower coupled to a GT40 or explorer upper is generally considered the "Best of what fits under a bronco hood." Depending on your air flow requirements, a truck lower with a BC adapter and mustang upper may suit you, may require some port matching on the adapter for a stroker or may be your bottleneck on performance. Truck upper and lower are great for air flow, but require 3" body lift and may still require a hood scoop. I only remember one truck intake installed on a bronco, and that guys hasn't been seen in a while.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
If your not worried about cost. Trick flow sells a 351 upper and lower (mustang style but still a lil tall). Edelbrocks 351 lower will work with the edelbrock mustang 5.0 upper. But thats aftermarket alternatives but should flow plenty for a stroker. Aside from that a lightning lower if u can find one. Oh and the aftermarket intakes only work woth that particular brands upper and lowers.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Trick Flow seems to have the best offering for aftermarket stuff.

The GT-40 intake DOES clear a factory Mustang valve cover-

mattt

Bronco Guru
Gen 1 Lightning = GT40. Lightning's came with GT40 intake & GT40 heads.

Depending on how big of a stroker you are building and where you are wanting it to run, keep in mind that the 351 GT40 intake is somewhat restrictive vs. aftermarket options. The GT40 intake only flows X amount and then it's done. It probably doesn't matter in a Bronco since we favor low to mid range....but it's still the case.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The minimum you would want to use is the GT40/Lightening intake. That is good for a strong 351 or a mild stroker. IF the stroker is built to run real strong, you will need an aftermarket intake like the trickflow. With the stroker the RPM band will be lower then the advertised range. 2000-7000 for a 351 will be more like 1000-6000 on the stroker. Again, all depends on how the stroker is built.

Amac70

ME
You seen and heard mine, the gt40 should be fine for a mild stroker. mine has lots of power right out to where my shift points are set right around 5k. And i think it will go a fair bit higher no problem just haven't played with it. The only problem with the gt 40 stuff is it is expensive unless you find a deal on it. Most the time i look the uppers and lowers go for about 350 a piece. at that price you can buy a new trickflow or edlebrock intake. Ive seen a couple different dyno's on them and they all seem to do about the same, the gt 40 loose a little on the top end but generally do better on the bottem for torque.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I just picked up a 351 roller so the search is on for the best EFI lower intake. I'm planning to build a stroker but not sure yet what magnatude. Looking for suggestions on the lower intake and where to buy.

Fun project! I did (am doing) the same....but mine is a 427. I did the exact same thing as you, bought the motor and then bought intakes. I then sold the intakes I bought. I hadn't done enough research and also didn't realize how much work, $, parts, assembling, disassembling etc would occur before I got anywhere near thinking about intakes.

I suggest you start planning. Create a .XLS spreadsheet and start inputting every single part you need to buy and how they will interact with each other. It will need to be mocked up multiple times.

I ended up deciding on the Victor Jr EFI setup (and I STILL haven't bought it yet). None of the other manifolds (GT40, World Products, TrickFlow, Spyder, etc) flow like this thing does.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3887/

Have fun!

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The GT40 intakes are good for 450hp, planning for more than that - look elsewhere.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
I ended up deciding on the Victor Jr EFI setup (and I STILL haven't bought it yet). None of the other manifolds (GT40, World Products, TrickFlow, Spyder, etc) flow like this thing does.

Have fun!

X2. Haven't run it yet. 408W. It's tall but this picture makes it look reallllyy tall.

DSC09168.jpg

reynard101

Bronco Guru
X2. Haven't run it yet. 408W. It's tall but this picture makes it look reallllyy tall.

AFR 185 or 205? I see you went with 72cc...what is your CR? 205s are on my list with 58ccs.

I went with 185. CR is about 9.5:1. Roller comp cam. I think the grind number is 35-302-8. Comp Ultra Pro Roller Rockers, nice but expensive. Had my machine shop source most of the parts - I trust him. Goal is nothing wild, reliable, good torque for wheeling, and decent power for fun. I hope to source the rest of the injection stuff soon and get it started up.

Airbur, I've been watching your build pretty closely. Awesome engine.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Lightning lower is good - if you can find it for a decent price. There's also a boat GT40 lower identical to the Lightning EXCEPT it's cast iron, which also becomes available every now and then.

There's also a knock-off Edelbrock intake, the Typhoon by Professional Products. It's cheaper - don't know about quality.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/12/efiintake/

http://www.professional-products.com/manifoldsProductford.php

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-54126/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-54125/

misterkeebler

Be aware when buying new cobra intakes as they are made in china and the casting is somewhat porous and a little rough but still probably not as bad as the professional products-which are ok with a lot of clean up and porting. Original cobra manifolds were made in usa