• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front coil height

blackbirdsc

I am installing a 3.5 " lift in my 75 bronco. I am doing this because my factory leafs are broken and its just as cheap to replace with the 3.5" leafs. My new front coils measure at 18.5" in length, would this be a 3.5" front coil spring? I have 33's on my truck now with no lift and work just fine. I think it would look better with the lift.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Length without spring rate doesn't mean much since it's the installed height that matters, so I would expect the different vendors 3.5" springs to all be different lengths from one another.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since they're new, who did you buy them from? That would be where you'd need to look for specs.

Ours are about 20.125" for the 3.5" springs, if I remember.

Paul

flecks

Loc.
SoCal
Thought I would jump in and someone could help me with pretty much the same question. I didn't want to start a different thread.

I currently have 3" skyjacker soft coils in front. Sky jacker advertises 2.5-3" lift installed. I measured them today and they are a tad over 15 inches installed on my rig now. I am looking for approximately another inch of lift in front for the HP dana 44 I will be installing. Should I be looking at getting 3.5 or 4.5 inch coils up front? I was looking at either wild horses or BC broncos coils. Not sure what the measurement on these coils are installed?

I have a 66 bronco with a dana 30, hard top, 289, C4 and stock chrome front bumper. Anyone with a similar set up or experience that can help me out would be much appreciated!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't help you just yet flecks. I only have uninstalled height, and installed but unloaded height (my own EB) for you. And like said, that's too inconsistent between different brands.
The only way you're going to know what your actual ride height is going to be, is when you actually load it up and set it on the ground.

Is yours still together at least? Can you set it on the tires to get a frame-to-axle measurement? Or, if that measurement you gave is already with the rig on the ground, measure between the top of your axle tube and the bottom of the frame to get your current height.
That'll at least give you a starting point.

Paul

flecks

Loc.
SoCal
Thanks DirtDonk. Ya, the coils are installed and have the full weight on them. I measured 10" from top of axle to frame.

I ordered some Cage 3.5 springs for my hp dana 44 swap I am doing. I heard pretty good things about them. I ordered them from Sexton Offroad because the shipping was free. Shipping costs really get you these days, so I was persuaded by that.

flecks

Loc.
SoCal
Got the cage 3.5 coils in today. They measure a little over 22 inches free standing out of the box. They are very flexy ;D. Way more than the skyjacker softride coils i Have. Can't wait to put em on! I'll post back the height installed and how they ride when I get it done.