• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking Fuel

ND76Bronco

Loc.
Shawnee Mission, KS
Hey all I have a 76 Ford Bronco with the original 302. I am leaking I believe to be fuel from the front right side of the engine. The fuel is linking from what i think is the fuel pump right onto the oil filter and only leaks when the engine is running. Can anyone confirm that this is the fuel pump and give any tips or instructions on how to replace it.

Thanks,

T

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Sounds like you need a new fuel pump. Mine leaked like that too.

Just disconnect the lines, remove two bolts and the unit comes off. The hard part is getting the new one on. The arm has to fit just right onto the the cam??? in order to seat properly. Then just bolt it back up, reattach the lines, and press.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
Sounds like the manual fuel pump to
Me... Can confirm w pics.... To replace you have several options....
You can easily replace the mechanical
Pump with another, or you can replace it with a electric pump.... Both will
Have their pros and cons....

To replace the mechanical carefully unbolt your fuel lines from the pump.... Take note of which line come from which port.... You'll see one line that runs along your frame, and one that goes up to your carburetor....

Next unbolt the 2 bolts holding the pump on the motor.... It will then slide out of the motor, replace the small
Paper gasket, also apply a small amount of high temp silicone to the gasket.... A very light film is all you need to insure no oil leaks.... Slide new pump slide into motor, you should feel some tension as it rests on the cam/fuel
Pump lobe....
Bolt the fuel pump snug to the motor, and attach fuel lines.... A few cranks of the key and you should be good to go:)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?s3gcgj
1966,351,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 35's,

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like the fuel pump to me as well.
Little hint, left and right are always as sitting in the drivers seat. just because you turn around and are now facing the back of the vehicle does not change left and right. Fuel pump is on the left side of the engine, which is on your right side as you stand at the front bumper looking into the engine compartment. Just one of those odd auto things that you will need to keep in mind or you will be ordering the wrong part in the future.

As stated, not hard to change. Only real trick is the arm on the pump has to go UNDER the ecentric inside the engine. Which can make installing it a pain as you may have to compress the arm as you put the bolts in. The ecentric is a circle on the front of the cam that is offset. As the offset circle spins around is pushes the arm down and the spring in the arm pushes the arm back up. This is what makes the fuel pump actually pump. If you put the pump in with the arm on top of the ecentric it will not pump. Other then that little trick it is a simple remove and replace part.

Another first timer mistake, the threads on the metal fuel line are a compression fitting, not pipe thread. Do NOT use teflon tape. It will get into the fuel system and make all kinds of problems you will later be chasing forever.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Be sure you plug off the fuel line coming from the fuel tank when you remove it from the pump or fuel will gush out everywhere.Good luck with it.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool::cool::cool: New fuel pump and look at the oil they do leak inside also. The fuel pump is on the left side (driver side) easy fix. good luck and have fun.:eek::eek::eek: Bill :cool:;D:p

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Quick tip: If you have difficulty with the arm when installing, rotate engine by hand till eccentric is at highest point. Much easier than fighting it and possibly cross threading bolts trying to force it on.

OP
OP
N

ND76Bronco

Loc.
Shawnee Mission, KS
Hey thanks for all the responses after listening to all this I think I may have had the wrong part since the part that doesn't have two bolts or fuel lines running into it for that matter. The part is a small silver dome just behind (towards the back of the engine) from the fuel pump and directly above the oil filter. Sorry to have wasted your time with the first question I am still learning my way around these engines.

Thanks,

T

DrLathrop

Loc.
Fulshear, TX
I have the same leak on my '77. Any recommended fuel pumps to replace the original? I thought I read somewhere that there were issues with the mechanical pumps produced/refurbished these days.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have the same leak on my '77. Any recommended fuel pumps to replace the original? I thought I read somewhere that there were issues with the mechanical pumps produced/refurbished these days.

I try to buy my parts from the same vendors that professional garages use. Come-backs cost garages lots of money and so they tend to use the best parts. You'll notice the garage parts shaggers are seldom seen at the chain oil and wax shops. You can't go wrong with Car Quest or NAPA.

moonshiner

Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
Another trick is to pop the cap on the distributor and rotate the motor until the rotor is pointed at the #2 and #6 cylinder, the fuel pump arm will slide in very easily then.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Another trick is to pop the cap on the distributor and rotate the motor until the rotor is pointed at the #2 and #6 cylinder, the fuel pump arm will slide in very easily then.

good tip there....

it may also be easier to turn the crank to align properly if you take the vbelt(s) off. Takes some of the resistance out of the equation.