• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

92 HO 5.0 swap questions

b76stallion

hello, i have a 92 thunderbird HO 5.0 i am swapping into my bronco. it has a 302 with a C4 automatic.I am keeping the motor carburated, pretty much just using the long block. i have come across i am going to need a new flex plate and wondering if someone has the right part number for me. I know the new 5.0 have a 50 oz balancer and wieght on the flex plate. i want to know if there is a new style water pump with the right pickup or if theres a specially pully i can buy to bolt to the new balancer to run the old style water pump and v belts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the flexplate you can use the thunderbird AOD flexplate. The big question is what size is the bolt circle on the torque convertor? If it is the 11.4" all is good. If it is the small 10.5" bolt circle then you need a new torque convertor. No one makes the 164 tooth flexplate with the 10.5" bolt circle anymore, in an balance factor.

For the front, you can get aftermarket 3-bolt 50 oz-in crankshaft damper so you can use your old pulleys.

OP
OP
B

b76stallion

Yeah unfortunatly i guess the c4 torque converter is the small one because the thunderbird flexplate does not fit onto the the c4. does the aod torque converter fit in the c4?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yeah unfortunatly i guess the c4 torque converter is the small one because the thunderbird flexplate does not fit onto the the c4. does the aod torque converter fit in the c4?

Make sure the tbird flexplate is 164 tooth. AOD plate is the same as big C4 plate, except balance.