• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 Swap Questions

ICRaider10

Loc.
Christiansburg, Va
From what I understand, you just need the kit from AA, a hydraulic clutch setup, and a twin stick if you have a J-shift (I do). Does this sound about right? How bad is all of this to do? What parts did you use to set up the hydraulic clutch? Any other considerations?

I have read all of the articles I can find on this and I wanted to get a feel from you guys on the suitability of the NV3550 for my EB application. My rig is mostly an around town/7hr drive to beach/drive on beach/hunting/trail ride. Eventually, I would like to do a cross country vacation in it. I do not, nor do I plan to, dig through mud holes at high speed/RPMs or do any serious rock crawling. Thoughts?

Ghost Pony

Loc.
Bossier City
U

The nv3550 will be perfect for your application. However, if I had it to do over again, I'd go automatic. The NV is an easy swap, follow the directions on the tech articles forum on both the hyd. Clutch and the nv install and you will be fine. Twin stick shifter can be a pain, mine needed Quite a bit of modification!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
hydraulic clutch is not necessary with the NV3550 swap. in fact i felt a hydraulic setup, it was WAY stiffer then my mechanical clutch linkage.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've got a swap kit in my garage that I need to get around to installing.

As was mentioned, you can retain your stock clutch linkage with the NV transmissions. It's the Ford ZF that requires the hydro clutch.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like hydro clutches, but would rather keep the basic-ness of a mechanical linkage for off-road fix-ability.
That's the way I'm going on mine. And it's the premiss we use with our kits.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The ZF requires a hydraulic clutch, not the NV3550. The NV3550 uses the stock Bronco belhousing and everything inside it except the clutch disk basicly.

Is the NV3550 right for you? what engine, axle ratio and tire size are you running (or will be running)? It is common for people to think they need an overdrive to make better highway driving, but the overdrive is too tall geared and ends up pretty much useless.

7 hour drive to the beach, that is a long drive. You will be wanting something very few broncos are built to be, a highway cruiser. Comfort and ease of driving operation will be key to making that long of a drive (and back) enjoyable. A little stiffer spring (maybe even those evil progressive springs) should help. Plenty of caster to make it track nice.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
From what I understand, you just need the kit from AA, a hydraulic clutch setup, and a twin stick if you have a J-shift (I do). Does this sound about right? How bad is all of this to do? What parts did you use to set up the hydraulic clutch? Any other considerations?

You did read this from over on the left there, right? May answer some questions.

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/nv-3550-install

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I put in the NV3550 kit this winter. Mine was a bit more work since I was replacing an automatic. I did the swap in my garage by myself. There weren't really any surprises and I'm still enjoying the novelty of shifting gears again. I used the twin stick kit from JB Fab but WH has a nice kit too. I have 4.11 gears and 32" tires. Cruising with the C4 was fine at around 65 and on short trips but that wasn't what I had in mind. Now with the NV3550, I have a better 1st gear for grunt and can cruise in OD over 70 all day long if I need to. I've used it on long range commutes and the only thing it needs now is cruise control to complete the package.
If you need any more info on it from me, PM me.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
blubuckaroo kinda hit on it axle gearing and tire size are a important part of a OD swap. Say you have 33in tires and 3.50 gears well that OD is going to be almost useless. something between 4.11-4.88 gearing would be what you would want. Now if your running near stock sized tires and 3.50 gearing then the swap would be fine.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Another thing to consider about gearing is the overdrives ratio. All the automatics have considerably higher OD ratios than the NV3550 and would probably require even lower axle ratios to let them work properly.

OP
OP
I

ICRaider10

Loc.
Christiansburg, Va
I have 33 inch tires and stock axle gears (as far as I know).

I have read the tech article...I guess I was confusing the ZF with the NV3550 for the hydraulic clutch.

The 7hr trip to the beach has been made several times. Each with its own unique challenges. But every time the Bronco gets a little better and more reliable b/c I discover bugs not found around town. Last summer the problem was needing that extra gear and the t-case not wanting to stay in 2hi. I think the 3550 and the twin stick should address both of these.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
base gearing was 3.50 behind a V8 4.11 was optional. unless you have the optional gearing a OD will not be great with your 33in tires as you'll be shifting out of OD whenever you hit a small hill. especailly at speeds below 75mph and it may not like to be in OD below 65mph.

33in tires and 3.50 gearing gives you a OD effect to start with. 2700 RPM at 75 is about right for most 302's.

OP
OP
I

ICRaider10

Loc.
Christiansburg, Va
Hmm...interesting...the PO must have changed the gearing (or it has optional 4.11) then b/c I tach up higher than that at 75. Time to do some digging...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
definetly worth knowing what you have to start with. If you have 4.11 or lower that will make OD more worth the effort

jasonv

I put in the nv3550 have 4:11 gears and 32" tires. It drives just like anything else now, it's very nice. Shifting into 5th after having a 3 speed was a very joyous event :) no need for a hydraulic clutch, it's not bad at all.

I'm one of the few that have had some issues, so I have pulled the transmission once or twice. If you have a welder you can make a nice little jack plate that you can bolt the transmission to, makes pulling it an easy one person job.

Jason

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
While your looking at the conversion consider the AX15. It is great swap as new units are available. The NV 3550 is out of production and parts will be harder and harder to find. Check AA conversions, Novak conversions and Rockwell Standard gear. The only reason Jeep switched to the NV 3550 is because New Venture was a joint venture between GM and Chrysler. They started building the 3550 to replace the japanese made AX15 and thus use their own line of transmissions.