• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower bearing on 1973 steering column

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
So, here is the first obstacle I've encountered. Lower bearing will not fit into recessed area in the bottom of column. (see pics)

Lower Bearing (which is same diameter as upper bearing) is absolutely too big in to be pressed into the recess. Per all of the info I've found on the forum, Wild Horses and Jeffs say that the upper an lower bearings should be the same for a 1973. If that is the case...what am I missing?

Unfortunately the original lower bearing was completely gone so I don't have a point of reference. The steering shaft was literally flopping around in the bottom of the column with no bearing left.

Pics are looking straight down on the lower end of the column. In the 2nd pic, I have the bearing sitting on top of the recessed area, but there is no way it's going down in there.

Attachments

• Lower Column bearing.not inst..jpg
    Lower Column bearing.not inst..jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 127
  • lower column bearing placed.jpg
    lower column bearing placed.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 117

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Let me see what I can find. I rebuilt a '73 auto column a few years back. I recall the lower bearing is different between early '73 and late '73. I have to look through files on a different computer.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Justino,
The lower bearing and race (assuming there was one) are completely gone now. It's very strange. The inside ring of the old bearing is still on the shaft itself, but thats all that remains of the bearing, bushing, race, etc.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Huggins,
I have been schooled on this issue recently. If you have a similar problem let me know, and maybe I can help.
Tyler

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen something on jbg about a weld in plug or something? How do you get the original out to put a new bearing on, or do you have to take the whole column apart?

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
From what I have figured out:
All the uppers are the same, but there are two different style lower bearings. One is the press in kind that has the race built into it. The other looks more like a typical bearing and fits in a rubber retainer which fits into the recess. Even though they appear the same size the latter uses a smaller diameter recess.

The bearings just press in. Fairly easily actually, and you can do it by hand.

If you need to put a new bearing retainer in the bottom of the column you have to drill out the spot welds on the existing, pry it out, slide the new in, and weld.

Hope that helps,
Tyler

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We'll see. I'll get the parts ordered tonight. I'm doing body work and paint so I'm sure it'll be a few weeks before I touch the column...

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, I finally got my new bearings and the bushing in place for the lower end. But where does the "retainer seal" (http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-17066-lower-steering-column-retainer-seal.html) go? There is not enough space for the rubber bushing around the ball bearing to press into the retainer and hold itself in, much less press this "seal" (which has a felt ring around a steel washer of sorts) in too.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Your lower column is like a '74. When you use the '74 bearing you don't use that '73 felt washer. Atleast that's what WH told me. It has been great for a year or so. I assume they were right.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I would like to know this myself. The column I'm putting in my 74 was swapped into my 72 from a 75 when I put in the automatic trans. It uses the same rubber bushing/ball bearing setup at the bottom. I ordered the seal you mention but couldn't make it work either. I just built it without the seal, but if it goes above the bearing I shouldn't have to worry about anything coming down from the top since I filled the slot for the shifter lever because I run a floor shifter.

Come to think of it I have a 74 shop manual somewhere. I'll try to find it and see what it says.

edit: Typed too slow and now I see bronconut73's post. Problem solved I guess but I'm gonna try to find my manual anyway.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
If I understand you correctly you have the type as pictured below. Put the bushing in the column first, and then work the bearing in the bushing. It will fit!

It appears that retainer in the link goes on the steering shaft between the collar and bearing to protect the bearing from the collar.

Hopefully all that makes sense and helps,
Tyler

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sounds good. I put the bearing in the bushing first then put it on the shaft and stuck the shaft up thru the column. Now I just wish the old steering wheel i'm using looked as good as a nice painted up column...