• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel stop bolt size / tap

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
What size bolt is used in the '76 knuckle wheel stop? Is it grade 5?

What size drill and tap should be used to remove a damaged one?

Attachments

• DSC_0282.jpg
    DSC_0282.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 29

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Looks like you still have a chance on that one! was it tack welded and did you grind off the weld first?

Id heat the piss out of it and clamp on with a vise grips. Or weld a new bolt to that one and then heat the piss out of it. Either way i guarantee with some heat it will come out!

As far a bolt size im gona guess a 3/8" fine thread. Grade 5 would be fine, but i like the grade 8 on alot of stuff because there gold coating makes them more resistant to rust. A coating of antisieze should help from hapining again.

Dont give up so soon. Heat works ausome on things like that. GOOD LUCK!

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Looks like you still have a chance on that one! was it tack welded and did you grind off the weld first?

Id heat the piss out of it and clamp on with a vise grips. Or weld a new bolt to that one and then heat the piss out of it. Either way i guarantee with some heat it will come out!

As far a bolt size im gona guess a 3/8" fine thread. Grade 5 would be fine, but i like the grade 8 on alot of stuff because there gold coating makes them more resistant to rust. A coating of antisieze should help from hapining again.

Dont give up so soon. Heat works ausome on things like that. GOOD LUCK!

Well the end broke off from when that photo was taken. Removed the lock nut with a cut off wheel because it would just spin. Don't see a tack weld on this one (but could be up under the bent bolt), but the other knuckle did have a tack. Still have a nub of the bolt left. Will try your suggestion first. Thanks!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Some guys like to weld a new bolt to whats left of the old one and use that to turn the old one out. Seems that the heat from the welding would help heat it up, add some more heat with a torch and it might spin right out. When im scared of a bolt breaking off i always add heat with a simple propane torch. Usually the bolt comes right out then. I keep a torch in the bottom drawr of my tool box...right next to the fireworks. Both come in handy when a stubborn bolt pisses me off!;D Keeps the neighbors dogs quiet also! At least i cant hear them barking from under the bed!!!

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Some guys like to weld a new bolt to whats left of the old one and use that to turn the old one out. Seems that the heat from the welding would help heat it up, add some more heat with a torch and it might spin right out. When im scared of a bolt breaking off i always add heat with a simple propane torch. Usually the bolt comes right out then. I keep a torch in the bottom drawr of my tool box...right next to the fireworks. Both come in handy when a stubborn bolt pisses me off!;D Keeps the neighbors dogs quiet also! At least i cant hear them barking from under the bed!!!

Got one on the work bench and been using it a lot lately with these 40 year old ball joints and axle ujoints!